• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cleaning blue brains pages

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Ok this is weird but I couldn't find anything anywhere on how to do it:

I'm trying to rearrange my blue brains, but to my dismay, the copy toner has transferred itself to the inside surface of the vinyl sleeves. I'm trying to figure out how to clean the darn things without (a) turning the vinyl into a steaming pile of plastic goo; (b) starting a fire; or (c) wasting a whole lot of time.

Does anyone have an idea on how to do this? Buying new is not that much of a problem, but if there's a way to avoid it I'd like to try it.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Don't know how to clean it but next time spray hair spray on the paper pages to prevent much of the ink from sticking to the plastic sheets.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check with Supply; they should be able to get you new blue brain pages. Hairspray doesn't work. I did it on my in-flight guide pages in Meridian and still needed new pages when I got to Whidbey.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I've never had a problem with it. How do you get that much ink to transfer?

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Laminating the pages is a sure way to prevent future occurances, but you might have to put in some effort/coin.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I've never had a problem with it. How do you get that much ink to transfer?

Clammy hands? As someone who's stuffed a lot of blue brains, the easiest thing to do is just get new ones. Supply normally has a boatload, or if you ask them to order, have them order enough to serve the squadron into the next century.

I would think that anything that might effectively remove the ink would also dissolve the plastic....

magnetfreezer

Laminating the pages is a sure way to prevent future occurances, but you might have to put in some effort/coin.

If you want to go cheaper you can do what a couple people in my class did. Get a $30 laminator at Walmart and then whoever needs stuff laminated can get a package of 20 laminating sheets for around $8. A lot cheaper than whatever Wings is charging now.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Or just not use copier products. Use printouts from inkjets or laser printers and you don't have this issue.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
What squeeze said...
Half of my stuff was from my printer - no transfer and still using those pages
The other half was copied by the squadron (and I did the hairspray bullshit) - those are now 15 ft deep in some landfill.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call these guys...
BlueManGroup.jpg

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None

I would recommend against that. I've seen too many blue brains that look like a giant, laminated brick attached to a kneeboard. Just get new ones.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Thanks for the replies.

After a few attempts and some wikipedia research, I think there isn't much I can do with the damaged sleeves. It looks like there are two types of stains: a bit of black toner residue, and a blue stain that looks to have diffused in to the vinyl. The black toner residue comes off with some scrubbing, but the blue haze is still there. I might try bleach or acetone to get out the blue, but I've invested enough time for now. My conscience can rest a bit easier, though, if I can recycle it. I think vinyl is #3... probably not handled 'round these parts.

Thanks for the advice on copy print vs inkjet print, etc. I'll see how laser print-outs hold up. I suppose that unless it uses a liquid toner ("soaks" in to the paper), it'll be the same as the copied stuff.