• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Clearance/Background Check question

levifly

I'm in the application process for Navy OCS, and what i'm applying for usually will require a TS clearance after training (from what i've heard). I have no criminal/medical/etc records that would throw up a red flag at all when investigated.

Without getting into too much detail, several months ago I talked to an AF recruiter who pre qualified me, this basically involved asking me the disqualifiers before letting me talk to the OR. There was one question that I answered yes to which I shouldn't have (didn't get a chance to explain it), but I was still pre qualified and allowed to talk to the OR. After that I had an email conversation with her but never filled out any paperwork, applications or security questionnaires (JPAS or w/e they use) and basically that was where our process stopped. So far, all that's been filled out is a pre qual sheet and some emails.

Later I talked with a Navy enlisted recruiter, answered the same way on the pre qual, and then was transferred to an OR. When talking with the OR I brought up the question I had answered yes to. She said that under the circumstances it was not an issue and not something that needed to be put in my app for commission nor in the NASIS system, and in retrospect I feel like a moron for answering yes...just being as honest as possible I guess. Now, 2 prequals saying one thing, an app for commission/NASIS saying another, and a recruiter saying to just fill out the app/nasis without it.

My question is i'm wondering if I'll run into any trouble with having answered differently on the pre quals and my NASIS/app for commission. I'm inclined to think the pre qual isn't even kept on record since the AF and Navy OR both sent me an email asking many of the same questions that were on the pre qual. It seems like it might only be something the enlisted recruiters look at to see if you can talk to an OR. Nonetheless i'd like to know if anyone has any words of wisdom/experiences involving this sort of thing. Thanks in advance and sorry this got a bit lengthy.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
If anyone gives you crap for being cryptic about whatever that question was, they shouldn't. The reason why is this: you will tell the whole, complete, and unedited truth on your JPAS/SF86. You have an opportunity to explain yourself when you answer "yes" to certain questions, and if your issue is something that shouldn't matter, then it won't matter. If you lie, that matters, and will get you in a much larger pickle.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
If anyone gives you crap for being cryptic about whatever that question was, they shouldn't. The reason why is this: you will tell the whole, complete, and unedited truth on your JPAS/SF86. You have an opportunity to explain yourself when you answer "yes" to certain questions, and if your issue is something that shouldn't matter, then it won't matter. If you lie, that matters, and will get you in a much larger pickle.

Being the biggest Pickle here...tell the truth, the whole truth, and don't fuck around trying to skip an answer...they will find out and you are in a bigger shitstorm if you lie than if you just rip off the band-aid and get it out there...

levifly

Yeah, i'm getting this all squared away now so a year from now well into my career i'm not sitting across the table from an interviewer unprepared. Like I said, my answering yes was basically a result of misunderstanding the question, and not being able to explain it. My OR's already clarified everything with me and said there will be no issues with changing the answer to no. And everything I can find on the pre screening questions your asked when you talk to an enlisted recruiter is that they are basically there to catch the applicants who wouldn't qualify and save the OR the trouble of doing it later. I seriously doubt its saved after that, but am still going to check with the AF and clarify the misunderstanding with them if so. I usually do a pretty good job of stressing out and worrying about nothing, but thanks for the responses.