• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Close Calls

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
So, anyone want to share the closest call you've had and how you managed to get your tender behind back home to tell about it on AW?

Here's an article from the Flying K about luck and close calls. Hope ya'll like it. (Sorry about the A-4 bullet A4s, but that was the way I remembered it.)

In The Break 03April09

I’m sure some of ya’ll have heard the old saw, “I’d rather be lucky than good.” I had a flight last Friday that got me to thinking about flying and luck. I spent the whole week carving ACM hops out of the low clouds covering South Texas and was on my final hop of the week. After a nice ACM check ride I detached my wingman to fly home as a single due to a 500-3,000-ft. under cast layer. I wasn’t particularly concerned about the approach back to home plate; I had a thousand pounds of fuel, the ILS was working, and I knew I would break out at around 500 feet. At 8 miles out, in pretty thick clouds at 2,000 feet, I threw the gear handle down. The nose gear failed to extend. As I began to go through possible scenarios it occurred to me that this might end up with awfully loud landing. To make this story short, I climbed to clear sky overhead
the field, began trouble-shooting and eventually got good indications. I found a hole in the clouds and descended VMC to an uneventful landing. I had the strange feeling the rest of the day that my bucket of luck just might be getting close to empty.
I remembered a night behind the ship in an Intruder when the flaps came down but the slats didn’t. That was a most unforgiving configuration for an Intruder and I came close to departing the jet at 1,200 feet. Fortunately, my BN and I trouble-shot the problem and recovered aboard uneventfully. On my first solo in the Hornet I lost
an engine due to a flameout. It was surprising, but the Hornet flies fine on one engine and I made it back to Cecil Field for an uneventful single-engine landing. One day on COMPTUEX in the Puerto Rico OP AREA, I was saddled in nicely, about to shoot an A-4 aggressor when my right engine caught fire. I used a new Comm Brevity term,( “Uh-oh”) which didn’t quite convey to my wingman the nature of my problem, but I knocked off the fight, shut down the engine and went through all the procedures and coordination with the Tower Rep on board. The deck crew performed an emergency pull forward and I recovered uneventfully on a single-engine straight-in. On the first night of Operation Iraqi Freedom I was part of a division of Hornets tasked with the destruction of the Ar Ramadi Palace. Each Hornet had two 2,000 pound JDAMs. At 3 miles from the target one of my smart bombs went stupid and wouldn’t release. A Hornet in the asymmetrical configuration in which I found myself was supposed to present many difficulties for flight, not the least of which was the back-side tanking which would throw the asymmetry completely out of limits. Also, shipboard landings were not authorized with that configuration. Well, the plane flew OK after the tanking in spite of the asymmetry and I was able to jettison the bomb into the Med and make an uneventful recovery back at Mother.
This is only a short list of little events that have occurred over the past 20 years, where I thought I might have
been using up my luck. In each instance, and many others, I was able to make an “uneventful” landing. Pretty
lucky, huh? As I thought more about it, I realized the reason my bucket of luck had never run dry is that a lot of what we aviators write off to luck is really an adherence to NATOPS, proper aircrew coordination, and plain common sense. Each of the events listed above could have ended as a major negative milestone in my flying career. What kept them from doing so was a combination of good equipment, sound procedures, thorough systems knowledge, and good aircrew coordination. This is why we constantly reinforce those things with all our students. We are filling their buckets with an unending source of luck that they will draw on their entire career.
Train hard and I hope you all have “good luck.”
God Bless You.
Cowboy

Reactions: Tom

FlyinRock

Cowboy
Great post. Yes indeed as we get older and survive some of our mistakes or weather the oddities that get tossed at us, we add to that magic bag of pilot tricks. I often use that term, "magic bag of pilot tricks" when illustrating potential solutions to problems with my young students. While it may not be the perfect answer, it can be the key to a different approach.
And, one of the last things I tell all the young studs as they leave IFS, "Fly it until the last piece of junk hits the ground. You'll be amazed at what you can get away with if you keep your brain from shutting down under stress."
Semper Fi
Rocky

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Cowboy, good post. Hope I don't have anything substantial to contribute to this thread for a looooong time. :D

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Third flight in the Tomcat RAG is the first flight with a RIO... (no 2 sticked Tomcats). At my 4.000000001th hour in the jet...

Rotate, gear up, HUGE BANG, left engine stall warning lights and tones, big big yaw left, L TIT pegged.... trees are big, jet is rolling left...

Set 10 degrees, Rudder, Burner, Gear reads the boldface. Land single engine with total of 4.4 hours. Thanks to all the old crusty sim instructors who taught so well.

Left Low pressure Turbine final stage pert near gone, stage ahead of that one half gone, and stage ahead of that one pretty chewed up... Blades went out the back vice out the sides thankfully, otherwise this would have likely been an ejection story!

Ended up with 3 single engine landings in 130 hours in the RAG.. figured I was a shoe-in for big and better functioning F-14 B's ... but no such luck.:eek:

Came real close to becoming a red spray at 14K in the 2100 hours in the goosehawk Cowboy, fly safe.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Been 'new' ... been shot at ... shot back ... been scared ... thought I was 'hit' ... thought we were' goin' over the side @ night .... jumped out of one .... yadda, yadda, yadda ... what a fuckin' hero am I , yea-as ... ??? :sleep_125

BUT: one time ... @
NAS DALLAS in the ADVERSARY-RESERVES:

When reentering the field -- high-speed (250 KIAS waivered - typical) solo in an A-4 VFR @ NAS Dallas from the Brownwood MOA with radar following/monitors, basically following the TACAN aproach corridor/altitudes up the 180 degree radial until I was at the initial
with radar following to the VFR break (what could be safer, right???:)) ... leveled around FAF 1200' .... light puffy scattered clouds only about 300' high but spreading as far as the eye could see over the whole area .... suddenly at my 10 o'clock a white civilian twin-something appeared moving left to right in/out of the clouds --- right through the NAS approach corridor --- heading SE for Addison airport or at least in that general direction --- we missed each other by less than 10-15' vertically --- I could hear his engines as he flashed below me --- through my helmet, canopy and all ..... then he was gone, in and out of the clouds and heading to the SE and away from me.

If we had hit one another --- it would have been over in a flash.

I started yelling @ approach to ID him or skin-paint him or track him or something ... they never did see him and never called traffic ... I would have went after him had I not been out of gas and/or the clouds not present ... I landed ... taxied in, dismounted .... and started to shake.

God, I thought: why did I quit smoking cigarettes ... ??? :)

The proverbial near miss .... and a near bad day. :)

Bevo16

pilot
I had a near miss in the VT's in Corpus. I was climbing up in the northern working areas to do some spin/approach turn stall stuff. We were looking for traffic, but passed a Cessna that was at around 7,000 close enough for me to see the pilot was wearing silver rim sunglasses and had gray hair.

We had some kind of gear issue that caused us to knock the flight off early, and the IP and I both talked about still being kind of freaked out about the near-miss in the debrief.

Approach never saw the guy.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
I guess on the plus side, at least you guys SAW the other aircraft. Its the one you don't see...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
When I first started reading your story I thought you were going to talk about the Cedar Hill TV towers (1500-1700 AGL). Were they there when you were? 9-10 miles south of the airfield ....
They were there -- and looked pretty impressive, but usually not a factor unless it was 'hard' IFR and approach was vectoring you out & around & down there ... then check your altitude. :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had a few, but 2 stand out.

1. As a nugget awake for 48 hours, :sleep_125 double cycled, then a fouled deck wave off at 0430 and now really pissed off, :icon_rage I (stupidly) promised myself I would trap next pass... no matter what! :dunce_125

Water, water, steel, steel, throttles to idle for the #1 wire, thinking I was finally done, then........ :eek: Hook-skipped all three wires :eek: - still at idle!!! :eek: :eek: A CUT IN THE WIRES! Dribbled off the angle without flying speed as LSO "Hot Dog" was screaming "BURNER, BURNER, BURNER!!!!!

Rammed throttles hard to full AB, pulled aft stick, and immediately reached with my left hand for the D-handle to eject. (Really should have pulled it; surprised my RO didn't). After all my lights disappeared from the plat camera beneath the angle, the next thing you see is an F-4 (now really light on fuel and better than a 1:1 thrust ratio) looking like a Space Shuttle launch reappearing from the black beyond and from below the angle deck, going seemingly vertical in bright orange max-burners!

The amazed deck crew later told me we made a huge hole in the water as we scooped out!

Took a deep breath, turned downwind and got an OK-3 next pass. Told the skipper that night maybe I should be in another line of business. He countered by saying i would be on the next night's schedule. And I never had any problems like that ever since.

Although I had a great cruise 'greenie board' this cut-pass-underlined kind of stood out for months, :( ... as did the never ending replay of the plat camera tape of me that cruise. It was better than some nights movie. And it is still well remembered today by all my old squadron mates who still remark about it 38 yrs. later ....

2. Launching out of NKX turning right for the departure in an F-14A, I raised gear and flaps. Gear came up ok, but one side of flaps/slats did and the other side didn't. A/C kept rolling. :eek: Full stick, full rudder, full asymmetric power couldn't right us. :eek: Reached for the D-handle, but we were now mostly inverted and only a few hundred feet above I-805. So I didn't/couldn't eject. :eek: Pushed hard negative G to keep from crashing inverted. As speed increased, A/C slowly rolled upright with increasing control input response. :p

Now upright, I decided to eject once feet wet a mile or two ahead. Found increasing speed made A/C controllable. Called base. Skipper said my choice, eject or try to bring it back. Lots of gas, test flew 'slow flight' at 20K for a while. Realized I had control dirty down to about 230kts.

Decided to land on NKX's 12K runway.... and did at about 245kts. Taxied to the ramp, wrote up the gripe, then drove to the o'club.

TINS

And then there was the time................:D

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I'll give one from the rotary side of the house.:propeller

I had all of 10 HAC hours and was flying a SAR with a brand new PQM straight from the FRS. He's on the controls while we pull into a hover at 750' over an object of interest in the water. Suddenly the nose breaks hard left and drops to about 45 degrees down (really, really uncomfortable in a helo). I jump on the controls wondering how far forward we can go before we lose authority to recover. I bring the nose up and try to gain airspeed when suddenly the bird stops spinning (did about 1 1/2 full turns in roughly 2 seconds:eek:) and everything is fine again.

Turns out the PQM had gotten his foot stuck behind the right pedal and instead of saying anything leaned forward and tried to pull it out.

For the new guys (or anyone really): Don't be the guy with the secret!

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
When I first started reading your story I thought you were going to talk about the Cedar Hill TV towers (1500-1700 AGL). Were they there when you were? 9-10 miles south of the airfield http://skyvector.com/#49-108-3-2252-1408

Legend has it the bent antenna on one of the towers is the result of being clipped by an unfamiliar aircraft on a VFR approach from the south.

I was there when the F-4 clipped the guide-wire. And it wasn't an unfamiliar aircraft. The crew was based at NAS Dallas. Posted here:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=451229&postcount=21

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had a near miss in the VT's in Corpus. I was climbing up in the northern working areas to do some spin/approach turn stall stuff. We were looking for traffic, but passed a Cessna that was at around 7,000 close enough for me to see the pilot was wearing silver rim sunglasses and had gray hair.

We had some kind of gear issue that caused us to knock the flight off early, and the IP and I both talked about still being kind of freaked out about the near-miss in the debrief.

Approach never saw the guy.

Sounds like normal ops at Whiting. A buddy of mine and I were talking about this the other day. The sheer number of "close calls" isn't as big a deal there, but when you come to other places (and communities), if you get closer than .1 miles on a VFR day, people think it's a near-midair.

At one point in the pattern at Barin, a Tiger Moth went booming (okay, maybe not booming) through the pattern. A friggin' Tiger Moth. I did almost a complete barrel roll around him at 800' trying to get out of the way on downwind. Once he was gone, everyone kept bouncing. My reaction: "Did that just really happen?"

exhelodrvr

pilot
I was lucky with emergencies, in that the times that I had something that could have been serious I was within a few miles of the ship/air station, so was able to land before things got bad.

Probably the closest I came to a mishap was a couple of times as an FRS instructor - a fine line with taking controls back too soon, or waiting too long.