• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMC: a MARINE story problem ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well ... I was gonna' string this one along for a while ... but you are too fuckin' smart (especially for a Marine) ....

The 'hook' was the former airline time as it's missing from most of his bios (like it's something we don't talk about in 'civilized' circles ??) ... he did 2 stints @ BIG IDIOT (a.k.a. Braniff International) ... Braniff 1 + 2 ...

He was about 8-9 months behind me @ BIG IDIOT #1 ... when he was in MCI I GAVE HIM A LINE CHECK ...

I GAVE THE COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS A freakin' LINE CHECK !!!

Now seriously ... how many guys can say that ... ???
:)

Amos_19_2.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:sing_125: It's a small world after all . . . :sing_125:

phrogpilot73

I don't remember where I saw that he had broken time and was an airline pilot, maybe the Marine Corps Times - but my first thought was: He's an aviator, he's got broken time. That's at least two things we have in common...

How'd he manage to get some time in the civilian world?
Ummm, he got out?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I don't remember where I saw that he had broken time and was an airline pilot, maybe the Marine Corps Times - but my first thought was: He's an aviator, he's got broken time. That's at least two things we have in common...
But does he brew his own beer????

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Oh ... by the way ... I saved the best for last. :)

How many of you know that Jim Amos was commissioned as a NAVY ENSIGN out of the Univ of Idaho ... ??? He got an inter-service transfer during ADVANCED ... again, it's one of those subjects that is not discussed in 'polite society' ... but it should make for some GREAT roasts @ the next USMC Birthday Ball !!!

You just can't make this stuff up ...

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Must be a high achiever to overcome so many handicaps from early in life!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh ... by the way ... I saved the best for last. :)

How many of you know that Jim Amos was commissioned as a NAVY ENSIGN out of the Univ of Idaho ... ??? He got an inter-service transfer during ADVANCED ... again, it's one of those subjects that is not discussed in 'polite society' ... but it should make for some GREAT roasts @ the next USMC Birthday Ball !!!

You just can't make this stuff up ...

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Google-Fu is strong in this one. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So what does a "Line Check" entail?
Conceivably everything: uniform, licenses, pubs up to date, flight planning, preflight, start/taxi/takeoff/climb/cruise/arrival/descent/landing/taxi/shutdown/MX issues, standardization ... it's conducted during the course of a 'normal' revenue line flight ... thus the name "line check".

It's basically a full-body cavity aviation exam: a SUPER NATOPS check, if you will ... to include chains, whippings, humiliation, degradation, electric cattle prods, burning bamboo splinters under the nails, sometimes accompanied by bleeding and screaming.

It can be done as a result of the end of a training evolution/upgrade, an extended period of not flying (for any reason), an annual or 6-month (some foreign carriers) 'check' requirement, a random no-notice 'compliance' spot check by the FEDs, a FED or Check-Airman wanting to get from point 'A to B' (usually for personal reasons) and the cabin is full (the FED can't technically "ride" in the back for 'personal' reasons) .... or ... you're on one or two or ten shit-list(s) and TRAINING has been notified to give you a 'look-see' ... :eek:

They are generally NO SWEAT if you are up to speed and just do the 'normal' stuff you are supposed to do each & every flight, but most guys sweat them, anyway. I suppose it's understandable when your tickets and career could conceivably be 'on the line'. I lost my 'fear' of line checks/checkrides when I started giving them and training FEDs. I saw I was smarter/better than most of the FEDs I was training (they were mostly guys who couldn't get into 'The Show'), which was a 'nice-to-know' fact of life. I know I'm forgetting something, but you get the idea ..

It's all part of airline pilot life -- recurrent training, upgrade training, line checks, drug test, medicals, etc., etc. No one looks 'forward' to them, but it's the way we roll.