• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard Promotion Rates

kiowa pilot

I'm an Army O-3 currently deployed to Iraq. I fly OH-58D Kiowa Warriors and have about 4 years left on my ADSO before I could switch to another service. The Coast Guard seems most appealing to me based on its primary CONUS mission and superior quality of life (from what I've heard). I am familiar with the pay grade reduction clause when transferring to the CG from another service. My question is concerning promotion rates and bonuses. If I were to make it into the CG I would be an O-2 with over 7 years of service, how quickly could I make it back to O-3 and then what is the promotion rate to O-4? Also, are there any special bonuses given to CG pilots? The Army has bonuses only for specific warrant officers (special ops, MTPs, TACOPS, etc), but I know the other services give bonuses more liberally, is that true for the CG as well? If so, what are they? Thanks for your input and responses.

Lobster

I don't know anything about the question you're asking but I'm sure some of the guys on here will. Try searching the threads for gouge on the CG, good luck and stay safe over there.

SixBeersIn

pilot
I'm just a junior SNA with no expertise whatsoever, but I did some digging around for you. From what I saw, you'll put O-3 back on after 2 years and then spend another 5-6 before O-4. Perhaps, though, a selection board would take your prior service into consideration....who knows.

It doesn't look good on the possibility of a bonus; again, though, I'm not an expert.

Here are 2 threads on this site involving guys who know a lot more than me about the program:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16852
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14466

For the record, there's a USCG Pilot in the building where I work; I got to talk with him a bit after I got selected. He said he loved it.

Sir, I hope this helps. Good luck and come home safe.

Gkp200

pilot
As stated above it will be 2 years back to O3 and for me it was a little over 6 years to O4. Promotion boards will not view your prior experience and promote you early based on that. Deep selection will be based on your performance in the CG. You will however be maxed out on the payscale as your TIS counts and your flight pay will be based on total aviation service. Bonuses are few and far between, mostly for fixed wing pilots when the airlines are hiring. Good luck.

Gary

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Yup, above info is correct on promotion rates. O4 selection rates for aviators has traditionally been pretty good although you could argue the last board beat aviators up pretty good.

Bonuses are unlikely although there's always good rumors on them going around, especially amongst the fixed wing bubbas. I've never heard of a rotary wing bonus. By no means would I count on one...they are just fun to talk about.

I think you would find life in the CG especially appealing. I've never met a DCA that wasn't satisfied even after taking the promotion/pay cut.

sardaddy

pilot
Actually, you can pin on O-3, 2.5 years after coming in as an O-2. Selection to O-3 is about 96%. Selection to O-4 is 85%. You get looked at for O-4 about 5 years after you pin on O-3 and will pin on O-4 based on where you fall on the selection list. It could be one month to over a year later based on your spot on the list.

The last bonus offered to aviators in the CG was in 2000-2001 and it was for fixed wing pilots only. 20 pilots qualifed for it and less that 10 accepted it. There hasn't been one since. So If you don't think ACIP is enough incentive you will be gravely disappointed in the pay.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
This may fall under the stupid question list, but hell here it goes. Can you double dip into the Coast Guard? IE: Retire from the military at 20 and go on to fly for the Coast Guard? Just curious due to the different departments they're related to.

HawkDoc

This change to the US code for FY 2009 is already being discussed over at www.aptap.org, but I believe it adds to this discussion as well. Long story short beginning on October 1st 2008 officers reappointed in a lower grade receive save-pay. This 'should' apply to DCA's, it already applies to CW3 and some CW2 types who made more at that grade than they do as an O1E. Regardless of pay sardaddy is correct the USCG is a heck of a deal!

The first part of this is about CWO’s Please read the last part Sec 606 and Sec 907. Very interesting!

H.R.5658 National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009 (passed) http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtex ... =h110-5658 Portions specifically mentioning warrant officers; see H.R.5658 for details: "SEC. 501. MANDATORY SEPARATION REQUIREMENTS FOR REGULAR WARRANT OFFICERS FOR LENGTH OF SERVICE. Section 1305(a) of title 10, United States Code, is amended-- (1) by striking `A regular warrant officer who has at least 30 years of active service as a warrant officer that could be credited to him' and inserting `(1) A regular warrant officer (other than a regular Army warrant officer) who has at least 30 years of active service that could be credited to the officer'; and (2) by adding at the end the following new paragraph: `(2) In the case of a regular Army warrant officer, the calculation of years of active service under paragraph (1) shall include only years of active service as a warrant officer.'. SEC. 502. REQUIREMENTS FOR ISSUANCE OF POSTHUMOUS COMMISSIONS AND WARRANTS. (b) Posthumous Warrants- Section 1522(a) of such title is amended (1) by striking `in line of duty'; and (2) by adding at the end the following new subsection: `(c) A warrant issued under subsection (a) in connection with the promotion of a deceased member to a higher grade shall require a finding by the Secretary of the military department concerned that, at the time of death of the member, the member was qualified for appointment to that higher grade.'. SEC. 606. STABILIZATION OF PAY AND ALLOWANCES FOR SENIOR ENLISTED MEMBERS AND WARRANT OFFICERS APPOINTED AS OFFICERS AND OFFICERS REAPPOINTED IN A LOWER GRADE. (a) In General- Section 907 of title 37, United States Code, is amended to read as follows: `Sec. 907. Members appointed or reappointed as officers: no reduction in pay and allowances"

SEC. 606. STABILIZATION OF PAY AND ALLOWANCES FOR SENIOR ENLISTED MEMBERS AND WARRANT OFFICERS APPOINTED AS OFFICERS AND OFFICERS REAPPOINTED IN A LOWER GRADE.

(a) In General- Section 907 of title 37, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

`Sec. 907. Members appointed or reappointed as officers: no reduction in pay and allowances
`(a) Stabilization of Pay and Allowances- A member of the armed forces who accepts an appointment or reappointment as an officer without a break in service shall, for service as an officer, be paid the greater of--

`(1) the pay and allowances to which the officer is entitled as an officer; or

`(2) the pay and allowances to which the officer would be entitled if the officer were in the last grade the officer held before the appointment or reappointment as an officer.

`(b) Covered Pays- (1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), for the purposes of this section, the pay of a grade formerly held by an officer described in subsection (a) include special and incentive pays under chapter 5 of this title.

`(2) In determining the amount of the pay of a grade formerly held by an officer, special and incentive pays may be considered only so long as the officer continues to perform the duty that creates the entitlement to, or eligibility for, that pay and would otherwise be eligible to receive that pay in the former grade.

`(3) Special and incentive pays that are dependent on a member being in an enlisted status may not be considered in determining the amount of the pay of a grade formerly held by an officer.

`(c) Covered Allowances- (1) Subject to paragraph (2), for the purposes of this section, the allowances of a grade formerly held by an officer described in subsection (a) include allowances under chapter 7 of this title.

`(2) The clothing allowance under section 418 of this title may not be considered in determining the amount of the allowances of a grade formerly held by an officer described in subsection (a) if the officer is entitled to a uniform allowance under section 415 of this title.

`(d) Rates of Pay and Allowances- For the purposes of this section, the rates of pay and allowances of a grade that an officer formerly held are those rates that the officer would be entitled to had the officer remained in that grade and continued to receive the increases in pay and allowances authorized for that grade, as otherwise provided in this title or other provisions of law.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections at the beginning of chapter 17 of such title is amended by striking the item relating to section 907 and inserting the following new item:

`907. Members appointed or reappointed as officers: no reduction in pay and allowances.'.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
kiowa - PM me your AKO or another Army email and I will put you in touch with a friend of mine who was a Kiowa O-3 and transfered over and flies Dolphins. She did all her paperwork from Iraq a couple years ago and got picked up.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If what HawkDoc says is true, and that policy works out where i can be an o-2 with 0-2 responsibilities making 0-3/0-4ish with 10 years pay, can I put my name on the top of the list for the coast guard if/after I get winged, and after I go to the FRS, and after my first tour, and after the rest of my commitment is up?

ha. should have tried to go coastie before I went Navy. Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

That deployment and stationing deal sounds oh so nice.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
I applied, interviewed for the March 07 board and got picked up. I am currently waiting on the Customs Job Offer to make my decision. If you need any information, I'd recommend www.aptap.org for gouge there as well. Good Luck.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Fiscal year begins 1 October. I believe all of the US Gov is follows this.

highside7r

None
OH58D,
If you can send me that info as well. I am out due to TIS, but I have a fellow H60 IP CW2 type that is looking to go the DCA route, actually I am pushing him to do it!