• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydreama

I know many of you on here may not want to here this but if the Navy is restricting their slots for 04 and it isnt even 03 yet does anyone on the board know about what the Coast Guard wants as far as scores on the ASTB I took mine the first time and got 4,4,4 so I doubt the Navy is going to allow me to fly anytime soon since they want 6's and 7's. However I did just got a hold of the Marine study guide which I believe will be invaluable but I wouldnt mind flying for the Coast Guard also since I was prior enlisted and 26 I dont want to lose my eligibility. If anyone has any answers please share

kent1644

The thing about the coast guard is you are going to have to serve a tour at sea, before you can even apply for pilot. I've talked to the recruiter several times and they won't guarantee you a pilot slot before you get in, and I'm just not willing to take that risk.

Ski3

I remember the Coast Guard had this thing with Embry-Riddle where they would take guys from the Aeronautical Science program, get them to OCS (or is it OTS for the CG?), make them skip flight school, and put them right into a squadron where they would learn their platform. They might have discontinued the program, since from the 5 or so folks they took, only one made it through - I am not sure about this though.

There was no sea tour, and the requirments for getting in were very strict - high GPA, etc...

Jack

Does the rule about having to serve a tour on a cutter apply to USCG OCS accessions as well? I know that the USCG acadamey grads have to do the cutter tour, but I personally went through Whiting with several CG ensigns who had just finished OCS....

moestud

When I applied to the Coast Guard (this was over 4 years ago), what they told me was that when you apply for an officer commission you are just applying to become an officer, no specific job. Once they select you to become a coastie, then they tell you what jobs you can have/apply for, but if you don't like it, tough sh*t. I think that was a major deciding factor of why I joined the Navy. In the navy you apply for a specific job, if you get it, great, if not you are not obligated.
So worse case senario is you get a job you don't like (sea duty-and let me tell you, some of their duties are hard- they do a lot of work in the Bering sea, some of the worse weather out there, 14 ft waves are a good day to them) then you could do a interservice transfer to pilot.
Good Luck.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Jack, I don't know if you have to do a cutter tour, but you have to be at least 6 ft tall to serve in the Coast Guard......

That way if your ship sinks, you can walk to shore.

dewahl

one good thing..if ya have the right degree, is they have direct commissioning programs into some IT communities. Dont have to wait until LT like in the Navy. Also no long assed OCS i think its like a 4 week venture.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Dewahl was referring the Direct Commission Officer school, which is only about 4 (maybe 6?) weeks. Kind of like Navy OIS.

<<tali264 says i love the dolphins>>

Status
Not open for further replies.