• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold Weather Flight Operations

LSUMarine

Lay off me! I'm starving!
I'm just checking to see if anyone has already done my homework for me...
My class has been tasked, meaning I as the class leader have been tasked, with giving a powerpoint presentation on cold weather ops at the upcoming standown. Something pretty standard is expected, like don't go fly with frost on the wings or taxi through slush or snow, ect, ect. Has anyone out there done a presentation like that and still have those resources available? Anyone have any stories about a military mishap due to cold weather factors? How about any pictures of aircraft snowed in? Anything of that nature that you think might help. Thanks.

As if I didn't like standowns enough already...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
no but something to add, take extra time on your engine starts, let it warm up as the engine oil will be cold and thick and can rupture the seals, let it warm up before you advance the engines.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Should have a section in your NATOPS covering Extreme Weather Ops.

To add to what Skid said, your Hyd's are a potential problem too until they warm sufficiently. SLOW control wipeouts....

The Gooch

FOD Eater
pilot
Awww....come on Boom Boom, you won't blow a hyd line if you do a quick wipeout. And besides, those plane captains time you and the quicker you wipe wipe, slam slam on the stick and rudders, the better prize you get!

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Something not in your NATOPS is personal gear. As we say in the motorcycle community...dress for the crash, not for the ride. You might have a nice warm and cozy cockpit, but if the worst happens and you're left somewhere on the ground watching your plane go up in flames, it's nice to have warm clothes on. Don't be afraid to have the loft adjust your gear to fit over a jacket.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
LSUMarine said:
I'm just checking to see if anyone has already done my homework for me...
My class has been tasked, meaning I as the class leader have been tasked, with giving a powerpoint presentation on cold weather ops at the upcoming standown. Something pretty standard is expected, like don't go fly with frost on the wings or taxi through slush or snow, ect, ect. Has anyone out there done a presentation like that and still have those resources available? Anyone have any stories about a military mishap due to cold weather factors? How about any pictures of aircraft snowed in? Anything of that nature that you think might help. Thanks.

As if I didn't like standowns enough already...

Generally when you get "homework" like this you are supposed to apply it - to whit start with the basics - go into OPNAV 3710 and see what it says about cold weather/winter ops. That's one or two slides.

Then go into the T-34C NATOPS and pick out everything that has to do with cold weather / winter ops and boil it down. IU am sure there are normal procedures/checklist items that might be different in cold weather or below a certain temp? All NATOPS manuals have an all-weather section: what does it say about cold/winter weather for each phase of flight from preflight, takeoff/departure, cruise, descent, approach, landing, etc.

What does your squadron SOP say? FWOP? TW-5 SOP? CNATRA SOP?

How should you preflight? Is any snow/ice allowed on the aircraft surfaces? How is servicing affected in cold wx?

You get the picture.

Remember aero from API - ice changes the shape of the wing - BAD, lol.

I am certain google or old issues of approach magazine can provide appropriate images....

Good luck!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
The Gooch said:
Awww....come on Boom Boom, you won't blow a hyd line if you do a quick wipeout. And besides, those plane captains time you and the quicker you wipe wipe, slam slam on the stick and rudders, the better prize you get!

I'm afraid of the "prize" I would receive from those guys! Very, very afraid.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
As Jboomer said, start with the NATOPS. Some interesting stuff (well for me anyway) that's all there for a reason. Experience I had was having the engines shut themselves down because of sitting at idle in icing conditions (cold fog) at Offett. Because of the atmospheric affect in the intake the sensor iced over and essentially leaned the engines out to the point they quit while we were taxing. An interesting experience that led to a NATOPS note.

Pugs

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
KBayDog said:
Speaking of which, are you fully recovered?

Define "fully recovered." I've got an up-chit, if that's what you mean. Is my injured wrist back to where it was five minutes before the accident? No. Will it ever be? Not sure.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
LSUMarine said:
My class has been tasked, meaning I as the class leader have been tasked...
This is a good time to show your leadership and organizational skills. Use your class members. Delegate stuff out with set deadlines. Find someone in your class who knows powerpoint. If the class was tasked, you are not expected to do it all. If you do, it's a lack of judgement and leadership on your part. Now is the time to demonstrate why you are an officer.