• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Collateral Damage Concern

taz954

This would best be answered by a skid pilot but assault pilots please chime in as well.

I'm in the HTs and and I've been trying to figure out what I would like to fly and I've been getting as much info from this site as possible. I have a question relating to Cobras as they remain my first choice.

I imagine it must be very gratifying lending close air support to the Marines on the ground when they are in need of it. However, have you ever been in a mission where collateral damage was a big concern IOT complete mission objectives? Either as the one pulling the trigger or as a FAC calling in for a strike?

Are collateral damage concerns greatly lessened because you're so close to the target in a Cobra that it facilitates correct target acquisition? How reliable and accurate are the weapons targeting systems?

I'm not the most religious person, but I know I would be very torn as any aviator would at the loss of innocent civilians on my hands. I just wanted to hear your honest opinions on this issue which which would seem more of a concern to an Attack pilot than an Assault pilot.

S/F,

Taz

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Collateral Damage Estimates (CDE) are a way of life in todays fights. You are guided by ROE (which I will not discuss here) your experience and the situation on the ground. "Closeness" is not necessarily the determining factor on a CDE, accuracy and effects of the weapon is, there are things that you can engage with hellfire that you might not shoot with 20mm.
If Marines are taking fire you obviously do all that you can to engage the threat and manage the collateral damage. If it is a guy fleeing in a truck through a residential area maybe you wait.
Every situation is different and you wont be called on to make those decisions until you have enough experience to hopefully make them well.

widow_34

Buddy its all about trust.From an FAC/JTAC's POV. If you get a warm and fuzzy feeling from talking to the aircrew then you get on with it. If the situation is vital and your actions in either firing/dropping or not firing /not dropping has an effect on the ground then thats the tough one. Your JTAC/FAC will tell you what is required.Trust your training and ability.The line I always tell my guys is(I know it sounds cheesy) if you have any doubt,then there is no doubt. CDE is a major factor in CAS but once again from the JTAC's POV ''It's better to be trailed by 12 than to be carried by 6''.Start off with a strafe and work up to the big stuff.