• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college funding for STA-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am applying for STA-21 on the next cycle and while reading through the instructions I found that the Navy will only pay up to $10,000 per year. For anyone that is or has gone through STA-21 where did you get the funding?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fc3records said:
I am applying for STA-21 on the next cycle and while reading through the instructions I found that the Navy will only pay up to $10,000 per year. For anyone that is or has gone through STA-21 where did you get the funding?
That wouldn't even cover one semester of tuition here at USD. Can STA-21 guys use their MGIB?

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
STA-21 Students can not use the MGIB. Jacksonville University (Jacksonville, FL) requires all students to apply for financial aid at www.fafsa.gov and then JU matches the $10,000 the Navy gives us. It covers most if not all of the cost going here with 2x 19 semester hours (spring and fall) and 12 semester hours (summer). I suggest doing tha FAFSA... any little bit will help.

boobcheese

I think it varies from state to state but I believe most offer in-state tuition rates to active duty military personnel. I know that when I was looking at potential schools I made sure this was the case before I even considered a given school as a viable option. With in-state tuition at a public university you shouldn't have much problem covering not only tuition but books as well. If you are dead set on going to a more expensive school fill out your FAFSA and take out some student loans.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
As Boobcheese said, many schools will give AD military in-state tuition rates. I know all but maybe 2 on the list of approved nuke option schools are under the $10K (I know Penn State is over, and I think there's another).

Status
Not open for further replies.