• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College junior, have used search function, few questions

buzni

Hey all,

I've been reading this site intensively for the past few weeks trying to get up to speed on the process of becoming an officer and what life might be like once one earns his/her commission. Thanks to you all, I now know the basics of the communities I’m interested in and how the pipelines work. I also know not to ask what % get jets. Honestly, I'd be happy being a Naval Officer and even happier to be paid to fly whatever it is that needs flying.

I'm a 20 year old college junior looking at a handful of career options, including the Navy, and particularly Naval Aviation. Unfortunately, while my college is considered one of the best in the country, they don't really have many resources for anyone who is considering the armed forces. Kids drive 90 minutes to another school to do Air Force and Army ROTC, and a handful do Marines PLC over the summers. Unfortunately, there's hardly any Navy presence.

1.Multiple waivers: I think I’d need a handful of waivers to get in. One for PRK (which would need for SNA), one for a psychiatric issue I had in the past, one for previous marijuana use and one for a minor case of psoriasis which is no longer really an issue. I know PRK is a fairly common one to have, but I’m concerned about the other three, especially the psychiatric one. I was hospitalized for about a week and put on meds, but fortunately have recovered fully and am off all meds. I'd have to check the diagnosis, but I checked the NOMI Psychiatry waiver guide and think my condition is technically waiverable. I’m fairly certain my doc would certify that I’m doing fine w/o meds and that I won’t have a similar issue in the future. Obviously I want to get in, but I want to be as honest as possible and not misrepresent or omit any of the above conditions.

So do they prefer guys with fewer/no waivers? My academic background is strong (3.7 GPA, top school), and I'm sure I'd get good recs, be able to articulate clearly my reasons for applying in the motivational statement and study hard for and do well on the ASTB.... but with lots of applicants, would they look at my app and just dismiss it outright due to the above issues? Even if everything else looked good or great?

2.When to apply/How long does it take: I’m curious when I should start putting together a package? I’ve read a number of threads but don’t really know the consensus on this one. I graduate May 2009, but the thing is, I’d ideally like to know by Fall 2008 whether I was pro-rec’ed or not so that I would still have time to interview on-campus and get a job should the Navy fall through. Unfortunately, I’m studying abroad and won’t be able to talk seriously to a recruiter before June. From there I don’t know how long to expect. I may have to go through the motions of interviewing and getting a job and then turn down an offer should the Navy take a long time to come through.

I have a number of other, aviation-related questions, but think it’d be best to save them for if/when I get picked up and get through OCS.
Sorry if these questions are stupid, or if it looks like I just all of a sudden decided to try to become a Navy pilot. To be honest, I’ve always wanted to serve but only recently has the thought that I might spend the rest of my life in a cubicle, no matter how well-paid I would be, led me to look seriously at the process.

Thanks for your help.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
1. Marijuana is easy to get, so long as you weren't a huge pothead. The psychiatric stuff will depend on what meds you took. If you just sought therapy for a few months, then it shouldn't be a problem. As far as the psoriasis, in the words of my recruiter "If you don't have any medical conditions that are bothering you RIGHT NOW or will bother you in the future, then don't put it on the med form." I don't think that a bad rash once upon a time will dq you even if you wrote it on the med form.

I had to get a legal waiver, a drug waiver (for weed -- they don't wave anything more serious than that supposedly), and a med waiver as a result of mandatory anger management from the legal waiver, and it all went through just fine. Apparently grades, felonies, and debilitating injuries are the hard stuff to bypass.

2. Apply as soon as you are eligible to apply. The Navy will make sure it takes longer than it should. You can do your part by filling out the paperwork in a timely manner and staying in touch with your recruiter periodically for status updates. However, the Navy will get around to reviewing your app when they get around to it.

fusu

apply BDCP. my school doesnt have NROTC either and the BDCP program has been a real lifesaver for me. if you start applying now, you might well be able to find out before the end of the school year whether or not you've been pro-rec'd SNA.

buzni

Thanks a lot Spekkio, just the type of info I was looking for. I was unsure if waivers are just that -- exemptions for a particular requirement, or if they decrease the strength of an application overall.

I guess the only way to find out is to give it a shot and apply. I know I would regret NOT applying. I suppose I should start working on PRT, ASTB prep and the motivational statement now and get on the letters of recommendation and doctor's note when I get back stateside.

fusu, I didn't really think I'd be eligible for BDCP, as I'm 14 months to graduation and not even sure if I'd be able to put my package together until I get back home in May or June. Getting active duty pay would be nice but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that commitment yet (though I would have anyway in a few months). Also, I'm not sure if applying for SNA BDCP would work, as I'm currently overseas and thus far from a recruiter and was planning to get PRK over the summer.

I'll have to do more searching on this great site!

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Getting active duty pay would be nice but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that commitment yet (though I would have anyway in a few months). Also, I'm not sure if applying for SNA BDCP would work, as I'm currently overseas and thus far from a recruiter and was planning to get PRK over the summer.

You don't have to make any more of a post-graduation active duty commitment through BDCP than with direct accession, unless you're still undecided about joining. It's all 4 years active duty after graduation (8 total including IRR).

Remember that you are not signed into anything until you have FINAL select (which is usually months after you have started your application package). Don't work with this mentality, but just know that you can do all the work on your package, go to MEPS, submit your package, be Professional Recommended,find out what community you are Recommended for, and STILL walk away if you decide against it.

Even though you are overseas, I would recommend looking up the email address of an OFFICER recruiter and start contact with him. The sooner you're on their radar screen and showing them how motivated you are, they better for you.