• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College Major?

machdude

Hi, I'm a college freshman very interested in becoming a Naval Aviator. But... I don't really know what I want to do with my time in college...

I know it's only my first year, but I really don't have a clue what I want to major in. I'd like my major to be somewhat practical (for the Navy and beyond), but at the same time I don't want to study something that I have no interest in and would make me want to gouge out my own eyes (like Chemical Engineering). To be honest, I'm really more drawn to stuff like history. Understanding why conflicts happened the way they happened and such.

Anyway, I'm really kinda lost here, so I'd greatly appreciate your advice!

Very Respectfully,
Machdude

Lawman

None
The Military will teach you to fly with a Aero Engineering degree or and Art History degree.

That being said, given today's currently unsure environment on personel factored in with the fact that things in your life and priorities change over a decade.... Get a degree that is fucking useful. If I could go back in time and find the 18 year old me I would choke slam his skinnier ass to take Mechanical Engineering or something that isn't a basket weaving waste of money. It would be a lot better than spooling through my linkedin account and seeing all the jobs I'm not qualified for because I have no formal engineering/technical background.

You can still chase women and beer on weekends either way.

exNavyOffRec

Here is some more advice, the guy that gets a degree in 4 years with a crappy GPA will sit and watch as the guy that took say 5 years and has a very good GPA goes to OCS.

I had a few applicants who after I told their 2.6 GPA wasn't competitive responded with "but I did it in 3.5 years", well good for you, and no I don't want to supersize my meal.

DIVO

Balance --go for a degree that will provide a job. STEM majors tend to do better on our tests. But we will not know how competitive Officer slots will be when you are eligible to graduate... you are also still able to apply for a ROTC scholarship being a freshman...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I have a degree in theater and I'm a Hornet pilot. Study what you want to and what you will do well with.

Renegade One

None
To agree with, but perhaps "re-phrase" all the good stuff above: Think what you would like to do…and how you would like to get there…IF the Navy thing doesn't pan out. Do that.

If you bloody well HATE STEM degrees…run, don't walk to the nearest exit. Not sure where the "Moneyball" is in a History degree, but if you love it…do it. You can always teach, whatever.

But DIVO gave you a good vector for the future…take enough math/science/engineering (electives/Intros?) so you would know that if gear A turns clockwise, which way gear E would turn.

I started out a Physics Major…and rapidly tubed that. Shifted to a Business/Marketing COI so I could still be done in 4 years. But the foundational stuff was solid…and the BA/MKT stuff was FUN and frankly interesting! Played huge dividends in the post-Navy career.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Get a marketable degree in something you don't completely suck at or hate. Find a healthy medium between enjoyment and utility.

I got a degree in Computer Science and almost didn't commission due to a shoulder injury. Had I not commissioned, I would have still had a wealth of opportunity for work. For instance, I've been working as a software engineer while waiting for waivers and physicals to pan out and am grateful for the perspective it's given me.