• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college/NROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike172

GO NAVY
Im failry sure ive probably seen this question asked before, but i cant find it so anyway. Can you accept your NROTC scholarship if you have not yet been accepted to one of the colleges you applied to?

USN99

USN99
None
Next question

What is NSI for College Program Mids? I know what NSI is. I thought I knew the summer training requirements for the College Program. But how does NSI fit in? Back when I was a Mid, the College Program guys attended four years of naval science like the scholarship Mids. They, however,did not join us on summer cruise until CorTraMid (which was 2/c cruise back in the day). Then we all went on 1/c cruise before our final academic year.

Bring me up to date, Scotty! :confused:

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
USN99 said:
What is NSI for College Program Mids? I know what NSI is. I thought I knew the summer training requirements for the College Program. But how does NSI fit in? Back when I was a Mid, the College Program guys attended four years of naval science like the scholarship Mids. They, however,did not join us on summer cruise until CorTraMid (which was 2/c cruise back in the day). Then we all went on 1/c cruise before our final academic year.

Bring me up to date, Scotty! :confused:

The NROTC unit I am with is only two years old. The Midshipmen who came into the new unit as juniors in college had to go to NSI after their junior year to catch up on naval courses. I was a sophomore so I had to double up on NROTC classes every semester to catch up (yeah it sucked). They are taking their first class cruises this summer (after they graduated from college) and will get commissioned after their cruise. That was the case with NSI in our unit. That was only one time and wont happen again (new midshipmen coming in as juniors).

Chubby

As far as NSI is concerned for NROTC bubbas, it doesn't matter if you are a College Programmer or a Scholarship Mid, it is the same thing. Typically, NROTC is a four year deal; however, for people who want/get accepted for a two year scholarship or college program they have missed out on two years of classes/training. So NSI, for Middies, is a six week crash course on all the stuff; class, drill, basic military courtesies that they have missed. And subsequent to their completion they enter their respective NROTC unit as a Junior.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My answer is NO. Please read on.

You might want to reconsider...because if you do not get accepted to the University, then you CANNOT activate your NROTC scholarship. You should work with Admissions Office and the NROTC Admissions Officer BEFORE you tell the Navy "I'm going to XXX State or University of XXX."

I've seen the Navy give out MORE scholarships to, lets say, Notre Dame, because they know that only a SMALL PERCENT will actually get into that school. So what happens to those that don't get into the school they have a scholarship? They can TRY to transfer their scholarship to a school that you were accepted to or if the scholarship list is full, then you'll go on the "Wait List." A few years back, NO-One on the wait list got to activate their scholarship.....SO....most of those students had to pay for their first year and then compete for a 3 year side-load scholarship based soley on your NROTC Physical/Aptitude & University Academic performance. Call the school you want to go to and they will help you out. Good luck!
ea6bflyr

mike172 said:
Im failry sure ive probably seen this question asked before, but i cant find it so anyway. Can you accept your NROTC scholarship if you have not yet been accepted to one of the colleges you applied to?

Status
Not open for further replies.