• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coming to a Parking Lot near you...

STLEngineer

pilot
I've done a little design work on this bird, hopefully I'll be flying it one day.

The only places I'm sure it will be are in St. Louis (when I'll be at PAX) and PAX River NAS (when I'll probably be in St. Louis). Keep your eyes peeled for a stop near you.

K63736_sm.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------

ST. LOUIS, July 05, 2006 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] today unveiled its state-of-the-art P-8A Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft (MMA) mobile demonstration trailer in Renton, Wash. The trailer will now embark on a nine-week cross-country tour during which Boeing will demonstrate the full spectrum of P-8A capabilities to U.S. Navy personnel, team members, suppliers and employees.
The 53-foot-long trailer houses a 737 commercial airplane cockpit with out-the-window visuals as well as functional P-8A operator workstations. Visitors will get an up-close look at the 21st century workstations and operational mission software, and can take the P-8A for a simulated test flight and experience the performance qualities the aircraft will exhibit in a tactical environment.
Additionally, high bandwidth satellite connectivity enables distributed simulations and network centric demonstrations with the trailer and Boeing Integration Centers across the country.
"This trailer gives us an opportunity to take our advanced technology on the road and show people how much we've accomplished on the program to date," said Jack Zerr, Boeing vice president and P-8A program manager. "We will demonstrate how the P-8A provides the Navy with a huge leap forward in anti-submarine warfare technology. Visitors will be able to watch or participate in realistic maritime patrol scenarios, see the systems in work and also learn about the P-8A's advanced open architecture mission system, weapon system, worldwide commercial logistics, maintenance and training among other things."
The P-8A, a military derivative of the Next Generation 737-800 commercial aircraft, is the Navy's replacement platform for the P-3C. Designed to operate with current and future forces including unmanned systems, its primary mission is to provide persistent anti-submarine warfare. The P-8A also will contribute to anti-surface warfare and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance warfighting capabilities, as defined in the Sea Shield and FORCEnet elements of the Navy's Sea Power 21 program.
The Boeing-led P-8A team, which includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman [NYSE: NOC], Raytheon [NYSE: RTN] and Smiths Aerospace [LSE: SMIN.L], will produce five test aircraft during the program's System Development and Demonstration phase. The Navy plans to purchase up to 108 aircraft to replace its aging fleet of P-3 aircraft.

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/mma/news/2006/q3/060705b_nr.html

pittflyer

This is why I can't get into Grad School
pilot
Has the Navy, i.e defense department, actually bought off on the P-8 yet? I mean, actually placed orders for it and has awarded a contract? I thought this was still NOT a done deal? (Sorry if my head is burried in the sand and I just missed this.)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That is what I thought also. That would make this a promotion tour. I am not sure though.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has the Navy, i.e defense department, actually bought off on the P-8 yet? I mean, actually placed orders for it and has awarded a contract? I thought this was still NOT a done deal? (Sorry if my head is burried in the sand and I just missed this.)

Yep, you did all right.

That is what I thought also. That would make this a promotion tour. I am not sure though.

You must have had your head in same sand........this is huge news when BAE dropped out of the running with their upgraded Nimrod that was the favored choice by some and it came down to an upgraded P-3 vs Boeing's 737 based proposal.

MMA downselect was in 2004 and the Boeing offering was selected and subsequently designated the P-8A so it's real and in development.

MSF06-1491-02.jpg

History and Schedule

The U.S. Navy plans to purchase approx. 108 MMAs to replace its fleet of P-3 aircraft. Some the mission will be accomplished by the Broad Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS) UAV that has yet to be selected.

Component advanced development (CAD) award, September 2002
System development and demonstration (SDD) award, June 2004
Systems requirements review, September 2004
Preliminary design review, September 2005
Expected Flight-test delivery of first aircraft, 2009
Projected Initial operational capability (IOC) and expected full-rate production decision, 2013

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Oh, cool. I guess my knowledges was derived from some of the cynics here.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, ok, you don't have to quote me and call me an idiot twice, I get it :D

LOL. my bad...error in transmission on my part

BTW, don't they let you out for air where you work? There's a HUGE billboard on Route 5 announcing the win by Boeing

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
LOL. my bad...error in transmission on my part

BTW, don't they let you out for air where you work? There's a HUGE billboard on Route 5 announcing the win by Boeing

No prob, I figured it was a mistake.

Well, I'll be... I cross Branch Ave atleast 2 days a week going over to Bolling. I must be right around that sign several times a week.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No prob, I figured it was a mistake.

Well, I'll be... I cross Branch Ave atleast 2 days a week going over to Bolling. I must be right around that sign several times a week.

Actually, it's further down towards Pax River...you ought to come down for a visit some time