• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coming to Pensacola?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...then bring gas.

Not sure where the best place to put this is, so we'll go for "General." While on base, I decided to top off my car for the weekend, in case things got desparate. As I rolled up to the pump, I noticed each one had a sign that said "10 Gal Limit!" Premium was going for $2.79, which isn't too bad.

Then I made a trip to the grocery store to replenish my "spoiled" food items. Holy crap. If a gas station has gas, it has lines from both directions, and in one case, two police cars directing traffic. At the Albertson's, which usually has very reasonable gas, Premium was $3.09, but was out of everything and closed. I talked w/ friend of mine down in Tampa/St. Pete, and they're sitting pretty on gas for now, so it seems to be more local.

So, that said, those that are coming here on orders, you might want to come w/ some spare gas cans filled. I don't know how long or how bad it will get here (and obviously it's nothing compared to everything west of here), but just a heads up. I stopped by West Marine today to get a new gas can just for my lawn mower, and they were cleaned out.

So, to recap: Pensacola/Milton... Limited housing, limited gas, no COLA. ;)

phrogpilot73

Gas situation in lovely J-actionville, NC isn't much better. I filled up last night (thank god) for $3.19 for premium. Today, it's $3.29 for regular and $3.49 for premium. Add long lines today, and some stations running out of gas. Apparently the governer has directed limited hours for gas stations to help preserve gas. What does that mean? Longer lines... Hello Mr. Carter, are you the president again? :)

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
When IVAN hit last year it took a good month b4 gas was easy to get again in the Pace/Milton area. NOTE: Ivan had little impact on refining, so this may take longer.\

Same sign was at the base pumps in Mayport as well.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
If you need gas badly enough and don't feel like waiting head up 29 to the Molino / Cantonment area, almost no lines and gas is still only $2.80 for 89 octane...

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
You east coaster's aren't the only ones getting it. I am in seattle, and on 31 Aug, 87 octane was $2. 64 and diesel was $2.71 at my local station. Today, 1 Sep, it is $2.93 and $3.23 respectively. The prices may be lower than elsewhere, but talk about an oh $hit moment, couldn't believe it when I spent $50 for 15 gallons of diesel.

Josh

nugget81

pilot
What I don't understand is how gas prices in Grand Forks, ND can be $3.25 for 87 octane with 10% ethanol. Prices jumped $0.65 in less than 48 hours. Last I heard, Phoenix was sitting pretty at $2.66 for 87 octane. I'll just ride my bicycle until things cool off...

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
You can't even buy gas on NASP. They have base cops stationed there checking IDs, for "Essential vehicles only." Hey, my Camaro is essential to me!

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
saw one station here in the Low Country of SC with a price of $3.69 for 87 Octane ... most others are sitting around $3.25 .... two days ago the avg was around $2.49

guess i'll buy me a bike

S/F

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Driving home from duty today, NASWF gas station was empty. As was the tom thumb just out the gate. The ratty old store next to the "salvage yard" had gas, but also had a long line. No gas between there and Avalon, where there were two places with gas and reasonable (2.57 for regular) prices. Stopped into one, got gas, and talked with the store clerk a bit - she said there's over 1 million gallons of gas inbound to the area tonight/tomorrow. Of course, that's what she says - so your mileage may vary.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to my world. Premium has been ~3.15 in SOCAL for most of the summer. Hurricane shmuricane.

Brett

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
squorch2 said:
Driving home from duty today, NASWF gas station was empty. As was the tom thumb just out the gate. The ratty old store next to the "salvage yard" had gas, but also had a long line. No gas between there and Avalon, where there were two places with gas and reasonable (2.57 for regular) prices. Stopped into one, got gas, and talked with the store clerk a bit - she said there's over 1 million gallons of gas inbound to the area tonight/tomorrow. Of course, that's what she says - so your mileage may vary.

A friend of mine who was driving North in AL said he passed dozens of fuel trucks heading our way...again take it for what it is...

phrogpilot73

Saw on the news that the hurricane closed the colonial and something routes. They were restarted yesterday, although they would only be providing 1/4 of what they normally do...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For comparison only: premium is 80 Cents a gallon in Bahrain.

r/
G

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Brett: My post wasn't meant to complain or compare gas prices (hell, I'm used to Hawaii prices). It'll just keep going up, regardless. It was more of a heads up that gas itself was almost gone.

@Schnug: You suck (sir).

If those trucks do come, that's good news. I wonder how much JP5 the bases have left, as I would imagine it could be a problem soon, especially for NASP w/ all the relief flying going on there now.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Up here in Pittsburgh gas jumped from $2.89 to $3.20 in a matter of 4 hours. And thats the low grade stuff. The premium is now $3.49, and thats everywhere. This gas stuff is getting ridiculous. Needless to say I walked the 2 miles to my unit today. I bought a tank of gas this morning... AS AN INVESTMENT!