• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Comments Appreciated

Bernie Kosar

Navy Application

Well over a year ago I started an application with the USMC and, as of yet, I have not been through a single board (I had issue with MEPs and ended up having to get PRK surgery to meet the SNA vision requirements). I am nearly qualified, but I am still waiting on the PRK waiver (which went up for review over 2 months ago).

So here is the rub: I’m considering applying to the Navy before the next USMC board hits. Meaning, I would have a yes or no answer from the Navy before the next Marine board. It is my understanding that I can become professionally recommended by the Navy before the PRK waiver is granted. I have a strong desire to be a Marine, but would also be proud to serve in the Navy and will not have any regrets if I end up in the Navy. I will turn 25 soon so age could also become a factor on future applications with either branch.

My OSO has been outstanding. I do believe, however, that he will take it personally if I apply to the Navy. I cannot even begin to describe how much he loves the USMC.

My application is as follows: My undergrad and graduate GPA are both well above a 3.5. While in college, I served in leadership roles in several student organizations, participated in community service, worked a significant amount, and received various academic honors. I also have solid recommendation letters. My PFT is a 275 and my ASTB scores are 6s.

So, if I do decide to apply to the Navy... 1. What is the best method for handling an OSO who will not understand why anyone would want to apply to another service? (Please keep in mind that I still plan on applying to the USMC as soon as I become qualified). 2. Based upon my situation, is there any additional information I should know about the Navy’s application process? 3. Any other pertinent comments/remarks are appreciated.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I started my application process with the Navy and then switched over to the Marine Corps - so kind of backwards from you. The only thing that I really did with the Navy though was do an interview and then take the ASTB. I went in a third time and sat down with him and he explained how the whole process worked. He pretty much told me to go back to school and contact him when the semester was over to update my GPA and to run a PRT. I ended up deciding to switch to the Marines. My OSO handled all of the work. I never really went back into the Navy office or had any contact with them. He called over and got my ASTB scores. It seems like you have gotten in depth a little bit more than I did.

What is your motivation for applying to both branches? Without knowing more detail, it appears that you are trying to see which branch contracts you as a pilot first. Since you already have your degree, the USMC route would be OCC with direct commission. You would get your pilot contract up front and then go to OCS. I believe the Navy is slightly different as you dont get your "contract" until after OCS. I'll have to let someone with knowledge speak to that. USMC is really the only program that will "guarantee" that you can fly before you accept your commission. Also, you need to be 27.5 years or less upon commissioning for an air contract in the Marines, so while getting close, you still have some time.

Edit:

As far as the best method for "handling an OSO who will not understand..." there is nothing really to handle. If you want to apply to the Navy instead then just be honest and upfront about it. When the Navy calls to find out your ASTB scores, he will know.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Your OSO should understand that you need a "plan B" and if he doesnt then im sure he will get over it. I have only applied for the Navy, and im pretty sure your astb scores, and meps file will be able to be pulled by your navy recruiter. You might have to do a new application and prt. Im not an expert on this, but hopefully I didnt give bad info. Good luck.

Slammer2

Contributor
...You will might have to do a new application and prt. Im not an expert on this, but hopefully I didnt give bad info. Good luck.

You'll definately have to do a Navy application and have to pass the Navy PRT standards. You'd be going up in front of a different board so you have to meet all of their requirements. The stuff like MEPS, PRK waiver, ASTB...that stuff should carry over. The litte stuff like PFT-PRT and paperwork will all have to be redone.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I believe the Navy is slightly different as you dont get your "contract" until after OCS. I'll have to let someone with knowledge speak to that. USMC is really the only program that will "guarantee" that you can fly before you accept your commission
Wrong.

With the Navy you can be guaranteed an aviation contract as either a SNA or SNFO before going to OCS. In fact, everyone going to OCS knows what designator / specialty they will train for before signing on the dotted line. You apply for the specialties you want and the various boards met and say yea or nay. If you are accepted, you sign the contract and go to OCS and train for that specialty after commissioning.

There is nothing wrong with applying to both the Navy and Marines and taking the whichever services offers you a pilot slot.

Bernie Kosar

What is your motivation for applying to both branches? Without knowing more detail, it appears that you are trying to see which branch contracts you as a pilot first.

I love flying, but I also have a strong desire to serve in the military. I also do not want to miss another USMC board. However, in either military branch, I would not consider myself as a pilot first. I would also be willing to serve in any role, but I will have regrets if I do not do everything possible to maximize my chances of getting a pilot seat. If it looks like that will not work out then I will apply for other positions. I understand that both services are proud of their jobs and maybe my perspective would be different as an insider, but, quite simply, I would be satsified in either service.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go ahead and apply for the navy too. Just make sure you tell the USMC recruiter you are doing so before the Navy calls for your scores. He should understand given how long you have been in process, the remaining wait and your age. As said above, you need another option. The Marines got the ball first and appear to have fumbled it. You can apply for both. BUT, if you get an offer from the Navy you accept and then the Marines come through and you drop the Navy for the Marines, it would be considered a breach of a moral obligation made to the Navy. Once you accept an offer, don't look back.

Slammer2

Contributor
I love flying, but I also have a strong desire to serve in the military. I also do not want to miss another USMC board. However, in either military branch, I would not consider myself as a pilot first. I would also be willing to serve in any role, but I will have regrets if I do not do everything possible to maximize my chances of getting a pilot seat. If it looks like that will not work out then I will apply for other positions. I understand that both services are proud of their jobs and maybe my perspective would be different as an insider, but, quite simply, I would be satsified in either service.

Good luck. Let us know how things work out. I have to root for you because I'm from Cleveland :D