• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissioned to Commissioned?

ArmyOfficer

Hello all, great site! I was browsing around and read here: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136860&postcount=24 that prior service applicants can waive their age up to 48 months. I am currently comissioned as a Quartermaster (your version of supply) Officer in the Army and will fulfill my obligation with the Army in the fourth month of my 32nd year of age. Is it still feasible to apply to be an NFO? I will be an 0-3 at the time. It's still a few years out, but I would love to fly (particularly for the Navy).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello all, great site! I was browsing around and read here: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136860&postcount=24 that prior service applicants can waive their age up to 48 months. I am currently comissioned as a Quartermaster (your version of supply) Officer in the Army and will fulfill my obligation with the Army in the fourth month of my 32nd year of age. Is it still feasible to apply to be an NFO? I will be an 0-3 at the time. It's still a few years out, but I would love to fly (particularly for the Navy).

The referenced 48 month waiver is for prior enlisted service, but I would look into the rules governing intra-service transfers, as they may have different age requirements/limitations than the initial accession programs. Perhaps others here have more detailed experience and can steer you appropriately.

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett called it. Has to be interservice transfer. Pain in the arse. You are basicly on your own.

Acq guy

I submitted an interservice transfer packge for NFO last month. The first step is getting a conditional release from the Army. You may be able to get one prior to the end of your service commitment. Reference SECNAVINST 1000.7 for details on the application process. I had to apply for an age waiver and my commissioned service time will count towards the 48 month period. PM me if you need more details.

snake020

Contributor
All the SNA and SNFO slots for FY07 have been used. Best advice is to hold off on sending application till end of the year for a FY08 slot.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the SNA and SNFO slots for FY07 have been used. Best advice is to hold off on sending application till end of the year for a FY08 slot.
Bad advice. I don't know what your information is but this is bum gouge. To begin with, if you are referencing the OCS quota numbers we talk about here, or something a recruiter or NROTC instructor told you, you are using the wrong data. OCS aviation quotas have nothing what so ever to do with an inter-service transfer. If you are referencing a number you obtained in your inter-service transfer quest I still submit that it may be flawed because you may not be in the same year group as this guy. When BUPERS looks at an inter-service transfer for say pilot, they are looking at the year group that guy is going to be in and seeing what the manning is like. If they are short O-3 pilots in the transferee's year group then he gets a shot at it. Bottom line is that no one here knows what those numbers are, or the budget available to pay for the transferee's training. My advice is to proceed with haste, especially since age is a factor. Get the package in and simply hope all the stars are in alignment. Do not ever try to game the system. You are much younger then our Army firend, he can't wait until next year based soley on your advice.

snake020

Contributor
I will clarify/qualify my remarks

All SNA/SNFO Interservice Transfer slots have been used for FY07. This info comes from the AOCM at Millington who processes these requests. If you apply right now, you will get disapproved since there are no more slots to be handed out until next fiscal year and you cannot reapply until one year has passed. Also, they do not look at commissioning year group for interservice transfer requests; it seemed unusual to me too because I know how the manning numbers work by year group for designation (at least on the AF side, I assume Navy is similar) because my current job requires it, but again, all of this is straight from the source, hardly bum gouge.

If you want the point of contact for Naval Aviation interservice transfer at Millington to confirm, PM me for the org box (E-mail) or DSN.

BTW, there were 4 SNA and 1 SNFO slots for interservice transfer for FY07.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will clarify/qualify my remarks

All SNA/SNFO Interservice Transfer slots have been used for FY07. This info comes from the AOCM at Millington who processes these requests. If you apply right now, you will get disapproved since there are no more slots to be handed out until next fiscal year and you cannot reapply until one year has passed. Also, they do not look at commissioning year group for interservice transfer requests; it seemed unusual to me too because I know how the manning numbers work by year group for designation (at least on the AF side, I assume Navy is similar) because my current job requires it, but again, all of this is straight from the source, hardly bum gouge.

If you want the point of contact for Naval Aviation interservice transfer at Millington to confirm, PM me for the org box (E-mail) or DSN.

BTW, there were 4 SNA and 1 SNFO slots for interservice transfer for FY07.
Now that is the way it is done!! Good detail and backed up by a source. For my part, I apologize for coming out so hard (hey, it got you to put out the real verifiable data ;) ) and any bad gouge I perpetuated, like the year group detail. That must have changed and it sure doesn't make sense. Still, given the age of Armyofficer I would still advise he make the calls and follow through with due diligence. He doesn't have time to wait. Thanks for the clarification. Verifiable details make for good gouge and happy AW members.

ArmyOfficer

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the good info. My obligation won't be up for a couple of more years but I figured asking now and getting the ball rolling about a (fiscal) year in advance would be the best thing to do. Thanks again.