• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTP

Does the 8 yrs commitment start when you get your wings, or when you are commisioned? If when you are winged, what is a realistically time frame from OCS to winging?

YEAH COME ON!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you go Aviation, your commitment is after you get your wings. So if you go jets, it's 8 years after your wings...for helos/props, it's 7.

I don't know the exact wait time now (others have mentioned it on the boards), but basically, after you're commissioned, you'll wait anywhere from 0-2 months, then start. For helos, it's about a year and a half. For props, John can answer it better, but it's about the same, from what I gather. For Jets it's longer, I'd guess at least 2 years till you get to the RAG. I didn't do OCS, but I believe that's 13 weeks.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For Props, it took me a year and half (roughly) to get Winged (finish Advanced), and then another 6-7 months to go through the FRS. I made LTJG (two years in the Navy) just prior to leaving the FRS. So, two years from taking my oath, I showed up at my first Fleet squadron.

A long road of training (that is still ongoing) but well worth it.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
It took me just over a year and a half to get winged. Commissioned May 2000, started API Oct 2000, started primary Nov 2000, finished primary/intermediate Jun 2001, started advanced Jul 2001, winged Dec 2001. I'm still in the FRS for props, but I should be showing up to my fleet squadron in Nov or Dec. So I guess SERE and the FRS took me a bit longer than John.

Status
Not open for further replies.