• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Competitive?

PurdueGuy

Hello,
I am considering joining NROTC next semester and was wondering if I would be competitive. I am a freshman and have 2.87 GPA in Computer and Information Technology(Network Engineering Tech) and believe I would do average on the PRTs. I will join if I truly believe I can get a scholarship. If not, I may try applying for OCS my senior year. Does anyone know the average GPA and PRT scores for scholarships? What were your scores(if you don't mind me asking) if you received a scholarship?

Thank You
Any information is appreciated.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hello,
I am considering joining NROTC next semester and was wondering if I would be competitive. I am a freshman and have 2.87 GPA in Computer and Information Technology(Network Engineering Tech) and believe I would do average on the PRTs. I will join if I truly believe I can get a scholarship. If not, I may try applying for OCS my senior year. Does anyone know the average GPA and PRT scores for scholarships? What were your scores(if you don't mind me asking) if you received a scholarship?

Thank You
Any information is appreciated.

You will never know unless you apply, but you may want to wait until your GPA is above a 3.0

Ace_Austin

pilot
Join if you belive you can get a scholarship...that to me dosen't sound like the best motivation in the world to make a commitment like this.

BigRed389

None
Well I heard that you don't always get a commission if you just do the College Program.

You can look at it that way.

But on the other hand doing the College Program may make you more competitive when going up for a scholarship.
And it may also help if you get screwed via the ROTC route, and have to put in for BDCP or OCS.

Ace_Austin

pilot
And not everyone with a scholarship gets their bars. I've seen kids on four year rides fail out after Freshman year. Its about preformance. Worry less about picking up the scholarship and worry more about learning how to be an effective officer. The money will follow.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
and to add to this, (or perhaps clarify what I see as the most important part) make grades your priority. I think those who have been around the NROTC program for a while can admit that the Navy doesn't do the best job of cutting folks for non-grade related issues....in other words a lot of mids with questionable potential slip through because they got good grades. Right or wrong, this should be evidence of the importance that the NROTC program places on grades. If you do well in the classroom, you will get a scholarship, I almost guarantee it. A 3.0 (or better) I have been told is the "competitive" GPA, but you don't have very many credits under your belt, so if you buckle down for the rest of this year, you should be able to pull that average up. Also, don't accept "average" in anything if you are serious about this Navy thing. You may at times DO an average job, but its important to shoot for better than that. Both freshman year grades as well as the PRT are well within your capability in terms of improvement. Just my .02