• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Computer games- bad on eyes?

Fetter

I play a lot of flight sims on the computer and I'm wondering if it is something I need to stop. I've heard that it will mess up depth perception among other things. Does anyone know if there is something behind this claim?

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Nuts to that noise.

I assert that my high score on the ASTB was directly related to playing so many of them growing up, especially the spatial aperception part.

I say, keep them virtually flying.

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
I would agree some of my ASTB score was a direct result of playing flight sims while growing up.

Ditto. MSFS helped alot with not only spa ap stuff, but with the aviation trivia part.

However, I do notice now after my PRK (~4 months) if I sit and work/play on the computer all day or a lot, it wears my eyes down. But it doesn't make you go blind.

Carno

Insane
Way to skirt the question, everyone.

He didn't ask anything about the ASTB or playing flight sims, he wants to know if sitting in front of a computer screen is bad for his eyes.

Here's the first thing I got when I did a search on Google: BBC

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
In my personal experience, sitting in front of the computer too much can put a lot of strain on your eyes. When I was in Pensacola waiting to class up for API, I was spending maybe 3-4 hours a day in front of the computer. I noticed that I was having a harder time focusing on some things, and my eyes were hurting, almost like a strained muscle, believe it or not. I printed up a homemade eyechart of sorts, and taped it up on the wall. After about a week (maybe two) of limiting my time on the computer I found that I was able to read things on my little eyechart much more easily, and was able to read lines that I had been unable too when I was on the computer a lot. It's not a scientific test, but it convinced me.

Carno

Insane
Your eyes are muscles.

The reason they recommend limiting your television or pc time before an eye test is because your eyes get tired from watching, and you will not do as well on the test.

EDIT: well, they are not muscles themselves, but they have muscles, both inner and outer.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Well, for what it's worth, I had no trouble with the depth perception or any other visual part of the physical. This, despite having spent too many hours in front of video games of various types through the years.

I was advised, however, not to watch TV, use the computer, or read the night before. These things do strain your eyes, and they need rest to perform well.

As for sims messing your depth perception up, I've not heard of this. My depth perception's at least as good as the next guys, and I've been playing flight sims since A-10: Tank Killer came out in '91 or something. (PC's are cheaper than real aircraft. ;) )

Huggy Bear

pilot
The eye strain from extended use is obvious, but looking at a CRT monitor is basically like staring at a lightbulb. LCDs are much easier on the eyes.