• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Concerns

mskelt16

Hey everyone,

I am currently about to take the ASTB for the second time in April in hopes of gaining more competitive scores for a pilot slot. However, I have a few questions that I wish to clarify. First off, if I do perform well on the ASTB and get accepted by the board, does that necessarily guarantee admission into OCS? I know that you have to apply separately to OCS, but I want to know if the ASTB scores and the application process to OCS are directly connected to admission. My second concern is the actual process of becoming a pilot. My recruiter told me that if you do well on the ASTB, get accepted by the board, and go to OCS, you will begin flight training after OCS graduation. I realize that this includes a lot of hard work, but is this all the steps leading up to it? My biggest fear is the Navy putting me where they need me rather than giving me a shot at flight school after OCS. So I guess what I am getting at here is that if the pilot board approves me, am I a guaranteed the opportunity to go to flight school if everything works out getting into/going to OCS? I just want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into.

speedroller

Rangers
Nothing guarantees your selection for OCS. Get good ASTB scores, put only SNA, if that's what you only want, on your application, wait for the pro board. If you get pro Y, you will then be given a OCS date. Unless there are issues with your flight physical at OCS, your path to SNA is clear. Graduate OCS move onto flight school. After that, work your ass off!!!
Commissioning process is much different than enlisted, where you pick your MOS at MEPS before shipping out. Think of this as more of a contract with a caveat of passing NAMI flight physical at OCS.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey everyone,

I am currently about to take the ASTB for the second time in April in hopes of gaining more competitive scores for a pilot slot. However, I have a few questions that I wish to clarify. First off, if I do perform well on the ASTB and get accepted by the board, does that necessarily guarantee admission into OCS? I know that you have to apply separately to OCS, but I want to know if the ASTB scores and the application process to OCS are directly connected to admission. My second concern is the actual process of becoming a pilot. My recruiter told me that if you do well on the ASTB, get accepted by the board, and go to OCS, you will begin flight training after OCS graduation. I realize that this includes a lot of hard work, but is this all the steps leading up to it? My biggest fear is the Navy putting me where they need me rather than giving me a shot at flight school after OCS. So I guess what I am getting at here is that if the pilot board approves me, am I a guaranteed the opportunity to go to flight school if everything works out getting into/going to OCS? I just want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into.

Think of it like college, you apply for the program(s) you want. If you get accepted, you go those routes. If you apply for Pilot, and get accepted (PROREC'd), then you'll be processed in for Pilot at OCS (assuming you pass a flight physical). It looks like you have some major concerns and questions about applying. Write these all on a sheet of paper and spend some time with your recruiter, in person, to talk more.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone,

As long as you stay medically qualified after OCS acceptance with a pilot slot you'll make it to Flight trainig. However there are numerous physical exams from acceptance to flight school and people do get disqualified during the process.