• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Confused

destiny1682

Hi,
I graduated with a bachelors degree in Biology in December, and have been interested in joing the Navy. I don't know much about the military and was wondering what I would do in the Navy if i was to get selected in the OCS program. Does the ASTB score determines this? I have a 3.30 GPA and was wondering how competitive this is. Iam also a 24 Yrs old female. Thanks any feedback is welcome.

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
Contact an Officer Recruiter (this is important -- do not contact and enlisted recruiter if you want to go to OCS). S/he will be able to help you out.

Lobster

you're GPA is competitive, but keep in mind that the boards look at the total package when looking at an applicant, not just GPA or ASTB scores.

P3 F0

None
The ASTB will determine what you can't do, if you don't get the scores you need. The real question is What do you WANT to do? Fly? Drive ships? Supply? Intel? There are various options, some more difficult to get into than others. And like kurtzie said, hopefully you can produce a competitive package. It's not all about the grades, although those are important.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Like threesteppin said, contact an officer recruiter and find out what you can do. Your degree will not necessarily pigeonhole you into anything specific, my BA is in Archaeology and I fly P-3's. Some communities value a certain degree more than others though. The best thing you can do is get a list of what communities you can get into and then decide if any of them are what you want to do.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ok, since no one specifically answered this directly:

What determines what you will do in the Navy? For the most part: YOU!

Granted some career paths require specific backgrounds, for the most part whatever you WANT to do, you apply for.

SWO, NFO, Pilot, Intel/IW, supply. These are all choices you have. Now depending on your background (you say biology), you could probably qualify for other things too.

Like everyone else said, contact your local officer recruiter and he will show you what your options are based on what YOU want to do. Even after applying, there is no obligation until YOU sign on the dotted line AFTER you've been accepted. Just like any other job. You apply, you get your offers back, you pick the best fit for you and deny the others.

Best of luck.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
My question to you was what did you plan on doing when you decided to get a degree in biology.
If it was something medical then maybe you should look into DCO opportunities as well.

2 cents.

jdw006

My question to you was what did you plan on doing when you decided to get a degree in biology.
If it was something medical then maybe you should look into DCO opportunities as well.

2 cents.

Of course it's up to you, but THIS.

Maybe oceanography/meteorology? (Don't know the demand for it, but it's the closest thing to BIO next to DCO)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except for the Nuke program and some small specialties (METOC, etc), your degree background doesn't matter. I've got a history degree, Mrs Fester majored in Music and worked in accounting - we're both NFO's now.

Most important, contact an OFFICER recruiter. Regular ol' recruiters will try and talk you into enlisting...that's their job.

torpedo0126

You guys have gone soft...is it because she is a female?!

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

its her first post and a join date of March 2009--i think its okay.

i remember my first post. i asked if we are supposed to wear brown shoes in API. fortunately a kind mod protected me and sent encouraging PMs.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Except for the Nuke program and some small specialties (METOC, etc), your degree background doesn't matter.
I'm a biology major and a nuke. Your degree does not matter for nuke, only that you have 1 year of calc-based physics and 1 year of calc.