• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Couple of questions...

selmacf7

Hey guys, first time posting on here in years (formerly turbospider2k). Senior at ERAU w BS in Applied Metro. and a concentration in Aviation Wx, with a minor in Air Traffic Control. Here are the questions:

1) Roomate interested in BDCP. Took ASTB and submitted package 3 months ago and was denied. Recruiter recommended he re-take ASTB and re-apply. Well, last week I went up to JAX with him while he retook it and took the test myself. Scores came back 9/8/9 with high 50's in the OAR. First question is this... how do I score 9/8/9 and not have a higher OAR? I would've thought it'd be in the 70's with those scores.

2) So I think I did pretty good on the ASTB's right? Well, the problem is applying. I have to re-take a math course I 'dropped' my first semester at Riddle but didn't really drop. Got the F and am sitting on a 2.9 GPA because of it. Not a good GPA for application. Big deal right? Retake the class and submit next semester. Well... I'm walking in May and getting the diploma in August. Retaking this math class the very last semester I'm here (July-August). Have to because of course offerings. Basically have a bunch of weather stuff left to take and it all has to be done in Spring. Should I wait until AFTER I've graduated to apply, or should I apply now. I don't want to/can't wait around forever on a package and class date (6 month loan deferment).

3) I'm more interested in Coast Guard, BTW. Any thoughts there?

4) As I said before, my minor is ATC. Everyone with a recommendation is getting picked up within 6 months of graduation and after about 4-7 years (closest to 4) of training I'll be a certified controller (read: base pay = 92,000, max 180,000). Obviously Riddle isn't cheap and I have alot to pay back. Will Navy/CG give me any money (I doubt that) or help me get payments deferred?

5) What are career options out of the military. If I go Coastie I'd like to get into helos. What are former aviators doing after they get out, other than flying, of course. Unless I could get into grad school while I'm serving that my options in meteorology are pretty much limited. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys, I'm really just playing around with the idea right now. Looking for the gouge...

oztin79

Thanks guys, I'm really just playing around with the idea right now. Looking for the gouge...
There's plenty of research you can do on your own (most of which you can accomplish reading AW threads). If you're considering a career in the USCG, could you really be burning for a career as an Officer in the Navy/Marines?

You're ASTB scores are better than mine were, but the GPA would more than likely cost you at the boards--especially for BDCP application. I think it comes down to this: You would automatically do anything you needed to do to become a Navy/Marine Officer (including just taking a math class over again) if you were to ever belong at OCS with peers who know exactly why they're there.

Good luck in your decision process.

selmacf7

Well the course is being retaken... even if I didn't want to get into the military it's still a requirement. The problem is the way it all lines up... not being able to apply basically until after I graduate. Not my biggest concern though.

My BIGGEST concerns are eyes and money. Forgot to mention it before, but bad vision. Need PRK, which means I need a flight physical so that I can fail it so I can get a PRK waiver AND PRK, then wait the six months (or whatever it is) to reapply for flight, or to Coastie OCS, whichever I were to decide on. So now I'm probably looking at not having an OCS slot until at least a year after graduation, at which point the whole money thing has well since kicked in.

Any other opinions? Thoughts?