• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cover on a carrier

bigbeartr57

I was watching the show Carrier from PBS and noticed that no one ever seems to be wearing a cover, especially in a flight suit. Is this just for the sake of TV or is that really how it is. I understand that you don't wear one on the flight deck, but wouldn't one be worn while in the skin of the ship? I have only spent time on small boys and you always wear your cover aboard ship unless you are in the mess decks or on the flight deck during flight quarters.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
When a carrier is underway, the only place you wear a cover is on the bridge.
A cover presents a FOD hazard to the aircraft, therefore the vast majority of personnel do not wear covers on a carrier.
Exceptions to the no cover standard in addition to the bridge watchstanders are:
The DCTT will wear their red ball caps during DC events or GQ.
MA's will be covered while they are carrying sidearms.
Everyone is covered at a Captain's Mast.

When the carrier is in port (after shift colors) then everyone wears covers outside and in the hangar bay.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't tell you the day-to-day answer for a carrier, but generally, Navy aviators are fairly anti-cover, including on ship (I'll let a Marine answer for their side). Even on small boys, the pilots won't wear covers when underway. It all stems from day one of Primary, when you cross the fence line to the flight line where you are required to remove your cover due to FOD. It's just one more thing to have to manage.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was in port all day, I wore it inside and out unless I was heading to the wardroom or cutting through the mess decks. Technically in port you only are required to wear it any time outside the skin of the ship or when you are in the hangar bays. Underway is as helolumpy has already mentioned.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In port, covers are required on the flight deck and hangar bay.

At sea, on the Nav Bridge.