• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cover size

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike172

GO NAVY
I'm trying to fill out this sheet for uniforms. Under hat size its: 8, 7 7/8, ect ect. My question is how in damnnation do you measure this because its not inches, Can someone with more experience in the area of hats tell me how to measure my head? Thanks!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Go to a tailor or men's store. They'll tell you exactly everything you need to know to put on that sheet, including grape size.

mike172

GO NAVY
well my mom has actually been a seamstress for 40 years, thats her job, but she doesent know the cover portion. So thats why I ask only that part.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Like I said...Any good men's shop will know how to get your hat size. My father in law worked in one for years and he can tell you your head size by just looking at you. Hell, any western shop where they sell cowboy hats would know, too. The measurements are all the same.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I'm trying to fill out this sheet for uniforms. Under hat size its: 8, 7 7/8, ect ect. My question is how in damnnation do you measure this because its not inches, Can someone with more experience in the area of hats tell me how to measure my head? Thanks!

When I was filling out my measurements sheet... I drove to the nearest base (Great Lakes) and explained I was entering the service and needed to visit the base tailor. It took some paperwork, but they let this civilian on. I had the BASE UNIFORM shop in the NEX at Great Lakes do my measurements... When I got to Day One of ROTC I was one of the few people who had uniforms that fit.

Civilian tailors measure things a little differently, or atleast the non-english speaking ladies at the base tailor shop knew the shortcuts... I don't know but it worked.

Specifically for you, I spent a few minutes in the uniform section TRYING ON VARIOUS COVERS AND PANTS Etc. I didn't know "how" to wear a uniform yet... but I had a pretty good idea how the cover should sit on my head. My measurements I took according to the instructions the Navy sent me said I needed a 9. I've worn a 7 in garrison-caps and a 7 3/4 in combination covers for 6 years now.

So... go to a base, or even a military surplus shop... and just try them on. See what fits. See what you'll look good in AND be able to wear all day outside ithout getting a headache... and wont blow off your head in a windgust...

Just my 2 cents.... and the idea was originally directed by my father... a chief

schwarti

Contributor
Make sure that you consider head shape when you get measured. I take a 7 1/4, most of the time, but with a less-flexible hat like a combo cover, I either need a long-oval shape or a larger size to compensate for the squooshed shape of my grape.

Do combo covers actually come in different shapes, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.