• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crew day... or two... or three

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
website is down.

If the subject is something along the lines of, "marines work long crew days" and therefore we shouldn't wank - I disagree. Crew day needs to be a planning factor for all operations. The P-3 community routinely finds ways to extend crew day or work around the rules just to complete training or readiness events, and it is complete BS. If you have to exceed crew day because you're saving lives or taking lives and there's no other alternative, then do it. If you're engaging in neither of those activities, don't increase your risk of CFIT or some other accident, especially if you carry passengers.

Tired people make poor decisions, no matter how skilled they are.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Yup, total apples to oranges (link worked now, I got an error before).

Please disregard my rant.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Link works now. Good on her and her Marines. Great story. It's always good to hear when TTP's + ingenuity + gumption = everything goes right despite the enemy's will.

I really, really don't want to open this can, but not enough that I'm not going to ask the question...why not a bronze star?

phrogpilot73

Every time someone in the battalion would bust my balls about "crew rest" in the wing - I'd ask them - "Do you want to ride on a helicopter piloted by guys that have 2 hours of sleep, and are nodding off?" Amazingly, they all said no.

While most crew rest/crew day issues are minor - they exist for this reason. We are entrusted with a phenomenal responsibility. The rules are there to ensure that we are capable of completing that responsibility.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Think about this the next time you want to wank about crew day......

Definition of wank on the Web:
  • masturbate: get sexual gratification through self-stimulation
  • jacking off: slang for masturbation
Sorry...I wank during crew rest...but not about what I did at work that day.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Very nice FlyBoyd...... that's a good thing because if we ever fly together, you'll probably be traumatized for life.

I'm not suggesting that we ignore crew rest and not trying to compare the two. It just bothers me when I hear people complain about "pushing" crew rest because they left work 12 hours and 5 minutes before their next brief when there are people over there that don't sleep for over 2 days but still perform on a level like that.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Very nice FlyBoyd...... that's a good thing because if we ever fly together, you'll probably be traumatized for life.

I'm not suggesting that we ignore crew rest and not trying to compare the two. It just bothers me when I hear people complain about "pushing" crew rest because they left work 12 hours and 5 minutes before their next brief when there are people over there that don't sleep for over 2 days but still perform on a level like that.

Again, apples and oranges. In combat, you do what you have to do. But huge difference between the two and a huge difference if you're comparing aviation training and combat of soldier. I get what you're saying but I think you chose a poor example for comparison.