• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Criminology Major

fudog50

Good day Ladies and Gents,

First of all this post is not related to aviation, but an attempt to gather info about commissioning programs.

I know you all on here are probably the most informed about this subject, so I thought you could help point us in the right direction?

My son graduates this spring with a degree in Criminology from South Florida University.

He has expressed great interest in applying for a commission and getting into Intel or the investigative field of Naval Security. (I know NCIS is all Govt employees, with some outsourcing)

In my readings, I see that a degree in criminology is not listed anywhere as a prerequisite for any designators. But then I hear through anectodotal posts that a small percentage of Navy Officers have applied and gotten commissioned with the Criminology degree.

Is this a correct assumption? Is there a career path or field for criminal justice in the Navy?

My thoughts are that the Navy could provide OJT and some sort of internship for this field. And later, whether or not he decided to stay on and use the training would be decided, hopefully he would decide to stay in.

Any info you could provide would certailnly be appreciated. More details and discussion would ensue if any reponses are provided.

Thanks very much and have another Great Navy Day, (they all are!)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good day Ladies and Gents,

First of all this post is not related to aviation, but an attempt to gather info about commissioning programs.

I know you all on here are probably the most informed about this subject, so I thought you could help point us in the right direction?

My son graduates this spring with a degree in Criminology from South Florida University.

He has expressed great interest in applying for a commission and getting into Intel or the investigative field of Naval Security. (I know NCIS is all Govt employees, with some outsourcing)

In my readings, I see that a degree in criminology is not listed anywhere as a prerequisite for any designators. But then I hear through anectodotal posts that a small percentage of Navy Officers have applied and gotten commissioned with the Criminology degree.

Is this a correct assumption? Is there a career path or field for criminal justice in the Navy?

My thoughts are that the Navy could provide OJT and some sort of internship for this field. And later, whether or not he decided to stay on and use the training would be decided, hopefully he would decide to stay in.

Any info you could provide would certailnly be appreciated. More details and discussion would ensue if any reponses are provided.

Thanks very much and have another Great Navy Day, (they all are!)

Your type of degree has virtually no impact on whether you'll be accepted into a commissioning program, nor will it be a significant factor in your designator choices (with the exception of nuke program folks, CEC, etc). There's no officer designator that is related to criminal justice unless you count JAG.

Brett

fudog50

Thanks Brett,

I even somtimes get confused about the difference between "criminology" and "criminal justice".

Sometimes there is a merging of the 2, but in this case his degree is in "criminology".

I think Intel and Information Warfare would fit nicely into "criminology" and both designators would have a huge relation to this field.

Sorry about the confusion even mentioning "crimnal justice".

Thanks for the info about the degree not having an impact when applying. I appreciate that.

Birdman

They way the people at ROTC explained it to me was, "You can have a degree in underwater basket weaving for all I fvcking care, just get the degree!"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Like Brett attests, his degree isn't a factor in whether he gets commissioned in a general sense, his GPA and other activities are of more interest. Also, as Brett advises, there is no Criminal Justice career path unless he goes to law school and applies for JAG. Since there is no career path, there is no OJT or internship like you describe. If he goes Intel and get sinto a SPECWAR billet, perhaps his background might come into play if he gets into right situation. Dealing with some of the rogues out there is exactly like dealing with criminals because a lot of are exactly that. Since you are on a ship, you ought drop by CVIC and chat up the "spies" to see what they think.

fudog50

Thats what I thought thanks HeyJoe.

Crimonology is an awesome field, if I wasn't doing Aviation Maintenance, that would be the way to go!

We both figure that Spook or Information Warfare are the right designators to pursue.

OBTW, I have talked to the I.O. and CSIO on the ship, and other peoples. They gave me a lot of info as well. I certainly appreciate the help from all.

Thanks and have another great Navy Day!!! (they all are)

V/R,

CWO4 S.

Both you guys confirmed what I figured was the deal. GPA and involvement is the key.

Hey does he get any extra points for his old man being an active CWO4???

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thats what I thought thanks HeyJoe.

Crimonology is an awesome field, if I wasn't doing Aviation Maintenance, that would be the way to go!

We both figure that Spook or Information Warfare are the right designators to pursue.

OBTW, I have talked to the I.O. and CSIO on the ship, and other peoples. They gave me a lot of info as well. I certainly appreciate the help from all.

Thanks and have another great Navy Day!!! (they all are)

V/R,

CWO4 S.

Both you guys confirmed what I figured was the deal. GPA and involvement is the key.

Hey does he get any extra points for his old man being an active CWO4???

FWIW, my AIO asked me yesterday what he had to do to do a lat xfer to NFO. :D

Brett

colkruk951

pilot
I am also a Criminology and Law Studies major in the pilot program. However, in response to your question about getting into Intel, if I am not mistaken I do believe that it is a restricted line billet and if your son is not disqualified for say, eye sight, then I think he needs to do an unrestricted line billet. I only say this because a friend that commissioned with me was to go pilot, but they finally found out he had been guessing his way through the color test. Not one hundred percent sure on this, but it's a good wag.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I am also a Criminology and Law Studies major in the pilot program. However, in response to your question about getting into Intel, if I am not mistaken I do believe that it is a restricted line billet and if your son is not disqualified for say, eye sight, then I think he needs to do an unrestricted line billet. I only say this because a friend that commissioned with me was to go pilot, but they finally found out he had been guessing his way through the color test. Not one hundred percent sure on this, but it's a good wag.

He guessed his way through the color vision tests? Those numbers that are hidden in the color cirlces are 1-99. He must have been a lucky guy. Maybe he should try the lottery.

Goob83

None
The Navy has force protection officers. These officers serve in many law enforcement related jobs. It is lateral transfer only after intial qual phase is completed. SWO is the fastest route to this lateral transfer and they usually only take senior LT or new LCDR's in the community.

fudog50

sherriff?

Thanks for the info Goob,,,

We call the "Force Protection Officer" the "Sherriff"? I think thats the billet you are referring to? He does the normal routine protection and port set up stuff and heads up the Naval Security Force (NSF) and Inport Security Force (ISF). Amongst a million other things.

Force Protection Action Officer (FPAO) is a watch on the carrier inport. I am FPAO qualed. Most of the LT's in WEPs, OPS and some AIMD officers stand FPAO. We have small arms release authority.

The FPCDO is usually Gun Boss or the CDO if he's qualified. They have overall responsibility for safety of the ship and crew during elevating Force Protection conditions in port.

While you probably already know all this, and thanks again for the suggestions and the response, I was just clarifying that he wants to do more Intel and Forensics and analytical stuff like CSI, rather than Security and Force Protection stuff.

Myself on the other hand, if I could no longer be in my passion which is Aviation Maintenance, I would go the Force Protection route!

Thats all you guys need is an old grumpy Warrant Officer bastard running around with loaded weapons!!!!:D