• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cross commission or NROTC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles_MC0302

Hey y'all,

I was curious about something and wanted to see if you could help. I am starting as a doolie at the Air Force Academy this summer, but Im not sure if the Air Force is where I want my military career to be. I am looking more towards becoming a Marine officer, so I wanted to know the probability of cross commissioning Marines from AFA (from any academy grads), or if I should transfer NROTC after a couple years. Also, concerning the cross commissioning, what types of limitations are there (does it have to be a one for one trade type thing with the sister academies, very competitive to do, etc). Thanks for any help you may have and have a great day.

Achilles

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The only person I personally knew who cross-commissioned from USAFA did so to become a Marine infantry officer. I'm sure you'll hear about him when you get to Colorado Springs, too, as he was KIA in Iraq.

As far as restrictions... I'm pretty sure that you have to go into a field that your present service doesn't have. That would explain both how the LtCol I knew transferred over (for infantry), and how someone else I knew from Navy crossed to the USAF (for an astronomical research billet).

I never really considered the cross-commissioning thing, so I never really looked into it much. But from what I've gathered, it's not too easy.

Achilles_MC0302

Thank you for the reply. Another thing that I am curious about, if anybody can answer this, is what standing are you normally in to be considered for cross commissioning. Do you have to be not too good but not too bad, or does that not even matter just as long as there is someone from the other service willing to cross to yours. The reason I ask is because if you are hypothetically at the top of your class and looking to cross commission, wouldnt the service you are in want to try to keep you, whereas if you are at the bottom of your class, the receiving service wouldnt necessarily want you. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.