• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cross Service Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibernot

Looking for advice/info on cross service Naval commissions. I am presently an Air Force NONCOM with almost 7 years in with a B.S. and 2 A.S. degrees’ and working on my M.S. The Air Force has decided that since I do not have a "Technical" degree that I am not worthy of being and Air Force Officer.
I have never been exposed to the Navy and find myself on unfamiliar ground. I appreciate any helpful information.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I know it can be done, I am serving with 2 guys who did exactly what you did. I am pretty sure that they went and just explained the situation to the local Naval Officer Recruiter. Navy had no problem with it, (in their cases)

spsiratt

24 April OCS
I was in your exact situation several months ago, now i'm just waiting on my OCS date. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, just let me know.

Nikki

Tibernot, I am active AF in my senior year of college, persuing a degree the AF won't accept as well. I have decided to go through commission in the Marine Corps. There is a DD Form 368 that you submit to your commander for release into another branch. I am not sure whether you first get permission from your commander or get accepted to OCS. I would call an OSO.

navsup

BDCP Supply
I m confused! So say you have been in the navy for 8 years or so, and want a change but dont want to get out of the military alltogether, can you just transfer to the air force, with the same rank, and perform a similar job? or vice versa?

Nikki

We are talking about going from enlisted in one branch to commissioned in another. It is possible to switch from being enlisted in one branch to being enlisted in another, but isn't likely. You would not keep your rank either and are not guaranteed the same MOS.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
It's called a lateral transfer and it can and does happen. Mostly depends on what your MOS (or AFSC) is and if that service needs you. It's quite uncommon, but not unheard of.

Nikki

More than likely because not only is OCS combat training, but all the branches have different traditions, rank, etc.... you will have to learn.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
You do not have to attend OCS to transfer to another branch if you are already an officer except for maybe Marines. I know enlisted in other branches going into the Marines have to attend boot, so I'd assume the same goes for officers. Do you know anymore about this, Nikki? Sorry, I don't know that much about the Marines. I know the other services don't make you go through it again though. I'm working with an AF LtCol now who transfered from Navy CDR. He said there's no such requirement. Besides, I could just see an O-5 having to go through OCS again!

Nikki

The Marine Corps does require OCS from what I understand. I know that the AF doesn't...geee

Status
Not open for further replies.