• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CRT -> Is it allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfk

does anyones know if corneal refractive therapy(CRT) is permitted for SNA applicants? i called the NOMI department head and he didnt know what it was.
on top of that, he got all secret on me and wanted to know how i got his number, haha. i told him it was on the website...

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
The line about the cycloplegic (eyes dialated) exam is probably all that matters. You can't fake it. No squinting or "flexing" those eye muscles. I've heard of all kinds of schemes to pass the vision exam, but except for PRK, I've never heard of one working. You might get away with it at MEPS, but your flight physical will be much more thorough.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Originally posted by jfk
does anyones know if corneal refractive therapy(CRT) is permitted for SNA applicants? i called the NOMI department head and he didnt know what it was.
on top of that, he got all secret on me and wanted to know how i got his number, haha. i told him it was on the website...
By the way, do you mean on this site, or on the NOMI site? Please don't screw with the Docs down there. They're hard enough to get info from as it is. There aren't many of them, and they get thousands of inquiries. I work in Navy medicine and I know how frustrating it can be. Let's not give them any reason to stop communicating with applicants. I hope your vision quest (no pun intended
bouncy_125.gif
) works out.

LTJG G.

jfk

i told him i got it off the NOMI site.

does anyone know how many times a year the PLC selection board meets? i know they typically meet in early march, so is it only once a year?

Navy Swimmer02

Im still new to whole Eye surgery debate. But why is PRK the only surgery allowed? What does it do? And what is the REAL reason you cant be a NA with corrective surgery?

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
First, PRK is corrective surgery. The resone behind it is two fold. First, becasue PRK has been fully tested by the Navy. Second is because during Lasik, the cut a flap of your cornia then use the laser to seal it. The problem with that is the flap MAY rip during high G's. With PRK your cornea fully heals.

Ben

Also, try searching the site there is alot of info on PRK

I had PRK just over a year ago. It is the only surgery currently allowed by the Navy. Both Lasik and PRK reshape the cornea in order to restore 20/20 +/- vision. However, PRK surgery forms the cornea entirely through surface ablations while Lasik requires a flap cut in the cornea and the reforming work done underneath this surface layer. The cornea flap in the Lasik procedure acts as a natural bandage reducing infection risk, pain, excessive scar tissue build up, recovery time, and as a consequence--$$$--because it takes less time and supplies for the opthomologist to care for the Lasik patient. That's why lasik is the more common pocedure. PRK IS more expensive. But the 'flap' may be a detriment under stressful situations--such as high g's.

PRK is a solid procedure, but you gotta adhere to the post-op guidelines...scar tissue and infection risks can adversely affect your recovery.

That's my double penny's worth.

Navy Swimmer02

Should I wait to see what the Navy suggests I do, or would it be safe to go ahead and have the procedure done? I will eventually be applying for the STA-21 Pilot and/or NFO option, but I dont wont to screw up any of my chances on get accepted just because of some eye surgery.

Ghost@NT

Originally posted by NeoCortex
First, PRK is corrective surgery. The resone behind it is two fold. First, becasue PRK has been fully tested by the Navy. Second is because during Lasik, the cut a flap of your cornia then use the laser to seal it. The problem with that is the flap MAY rip during high G's. With PRK your cornea fully heals.

Ben

Also, try searching the site there is alot of info on PRK
At this moment, only Army Aviation approves LASIK....
The flap stick on cornea by natural, no laser is needed to seal it.
bouncy_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.