• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current Competitive navy profile sna?

BCNpilot

just looking for some info any of you guys might have regarding the current competitive profile for an aviator,Navy. I think im on the right path so far, but just looking for some competetive numbers now for gpa's and astb.
I have a 3.35 and am succeeding in raising it. taking the astb in a couple weeks. By the time I send in my packet around the end of the year Ill have my Instrument/Commercial and hopefully CFI. Ive decided to retake acouple classes here in college to boost my gpa, I have a year left and am concerned with what they might think of a couple bad grades my first year here, even though I corrected the problem and turned them into A's. Also regarding 4 years of college, can I lapse over four years and keep taking classes to get another minor or just to keep raising grades or does the Navy want to see you finish on a strict deadline of 4 years? thanks all for any help. later

T

TXHusker05

BCNpilot said:
just looking for some info any of you guys might have regarding the current competitive profile for an aviator,Navy. I think im on the right path so far, but just looking for some competetive numbers now for gpa's and astb.
I have a 3.35 and am succeeding in raising it. taking the astb in a couple weeks. By the time I send in my packet around the end of the year Ill have my Instrument/Commercial and hopefully CFI. Ive decided to retake acouple classes here in college to boost my gpa, I have a year left and am concerned with what they might think of a couple bad grades my first year here, even though I corrected the problem and turned them into A's. Also regarding 4 years of college, can I lapse over four years and keep taking classes to get another minor or just to keep raising grades or does the Navy want to see you finish on a strict deadline of 4 years? thanks all for any help. later

It depends, are you looking at applying for BDCP? That is the only commissioning program I can see that it would matter how long it takes you to finish college. From the OCS perspective, I believe you can apply the spring of your senior year (maybe fall, not sure) so if you plan on going 4 1/2 or 5 years, you might wait before you apply a little bit. I think your recruiter will ask you for a degree plan for graduation from your college advisor to know what time you will graduate if you complete it on schedule. I'd recommend talking to your college advisor first to figure out what you want to do (take a minor/retake a few classes) and then talk to your recruiter about it.

doctorjake

Here are the numbers that I got from Millington a couple of weeks ago. These are what they consider a competative profile as of now.
Pilot OCS: GPA-3.42, OAR-59, AQR-7, PFAR-8, PRT-Good/Med

Pilot BDCP: GPA-3.49, OAR-59, AQR-7, PFAR-8, PRT-Good/Med

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
doctorjake said:
Here are the numbers that I got from Millington a couple of weeks ago. These are what they consider a competative profile as of now.
Pilot OCS: GPA-3.42, OAR-59, AQR-7, PFAR-8, PRT-Good/Med

Pilot BDCP: GPA-3.49, OAR-59, AQR-7, PFAR-8, PRT-Good/Med

But there is more. They really like them young now. If you are much older then 24 you had better have a good reason and strong package to make up for it. Only minor traffic tickets and best there be no drug experimentation. Some pot several years ago is probably ok. No other drug use will fly. No DUIs/DWIs/Public drunkeness/etc. GPAs listed above adjusted slightly for the rigorous nature of the major course of study and the insititution. Most apps have some good extracurricular activity, though some do get accepted without much there.

GatorBoy44

I got my sna final select through BDCP and I retook / replaced 5 classes (my school's max). I didn't take school too seriously my first two semesters and made 5 D's. I retook them over the last three years and made A's in all of them. I think as long as you show the determination to retake them and make the A's, then you're good. Biggest piece of advice that I think a lot of people forget, be active in your community / volunteer. You can have a 4.0 gpa, but if you didn't have a job, volunteer in your community, or be active in school, what is going to differentiate you from the guy with the 3.25 gpa who worked 40 hours a week and volunteered 10-15 hours a week?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
GatorBoy44 said:
You can have a 4.0 gpa, but if you didn't have a job, volunteer in your community, or be active in school, what is going to differentiate you from the guy with the 3.25 gpa who worked 40 hours a week and volunteered 10-15 hours a week?

What do the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, and the latter applicant have in common? They don't exist. I don't know anybody who can work and volunteer 50-55 hours a week and still be a full time student pulling a 3.25, let's not exaggerate things. Sorry, had to throw up the BS flag there.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
What do the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, and the latter applicant have in common? They don't exist. I don't know anybody who can work and volunteer 50-55 hours a week and still be a full time student pulling a 3.25, let's not exaggerate things. Sorry, had to throw up the BS flag there.

Not with an engineering major, but I have seen it a number of times. It isn't common, but hey, even Santa and the Easter Bunny only come around once a year!

GatorBoy44

That latter applicant was me, sorry if you think it's BS. For a second think about it, if you don't have mommy and daddy putting you through school you have to work, welcome to the real world. I have a 3.2 gpa, I work 40 hours a week and am an assistant coach for basketball at a local H.S. (volunteer basis), 2 hour practice 5 days / week, games on saturday (its a freshman bball team). Put it this way, school in the a.m., work until practice, go to practice, study, wake up and do it again. But I also got accepted to BDCP so I don't have to work like that anymore, but I'll still volunteer next year.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
GatorBoy44 said:
That latter applicant was me, sorry if you think it's BS. For a second think about it, if you don't have mommy and daddy putting you through school you have to work, welcome to the real world.

Thanks, I've been in the real world for a while now.

You must be a cyborg because it doesn't look like you have time in your schedule to eat or have friends. So let's see...3 hours class (I'm guessing, because you didn't say), 8 hours of work (you said you work 40), 2 hours of practice...that's 13 hours, leaving you 11 hours to commute, study, and sleep. Like I said, you must be a cyborg. Or Robocop.

BCNpilot

Thanks . I think ill be doing ok then. Good idea about the volunteer work, ive been looking around through the school. now i just got to attack that astb. I just got the sat II for the math and have been going through the arco's

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Thisguy said:

I did it, but I didn't quite pull a 3.25 so I moved home to regroup. Went to school all day worked all night. I had a 10 am to 2 am shift Thursday and Sunday with three other 8 hour shifts on Fri, Sat, and Weds. Sometimes I would do the double on Saturday also bringing my grand total up to 64 hours in a week. If you dont believe me PM me and I will send you a copy of a pay slip. Looking back on it gives me great pride in how hard I worked, but I found that I hit a wall where I could not get the grades I wanted anymore and still work enough to pay all the bills. Most of my friends were people I worked with. All of this was to pay for an out of state school I couldn't really afford.

So I guess what I am saying is that, from my experience, I don't believe it is possible to work that much and still pull down a good enough GPA to be competitive.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Hat's off to you guys who work to put yourselves through college. I started out working(campus security...laugh it up) just a few hours a week, then my second semester I upped it to 15 hours a week...I got a 2.73 GPA that semester taking classes like Chem II, Multi-variable calc, linear algebra, Physics I, engineering design and...drum roll please...alcohol awareness.

Anyway, I decided I wasn't paying tuition for the privledge to work part time on campus, but to actually learn something.