• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current NA Service Commitment

wapo1

Service commitment for Naval Aviators is 8 years after winging, right? What is the subsequent Reserve commitment? Does everyone serve in the Reserve after Active? (Any way out?) Searched for the info but couldn't find it.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
8 years. My contract says nothing about serving in the reserves.

phrogpilot73

8 years. My contract says nothing about serving in the reserves.
See all the references to US Code in your contract? That's where you'll find the 8 year rule.

8 years total time in service (mix of active and reserves) is what is required of EVERYONE who joins. Most enlisted guys who do 4 years and get out, serve 4 more years in the IRR. Officers do the same, unless they're Naval Aviators. Once you cross the 8 years of total time in service, you're free and clear to get out with no reserve commitment. If you get out prior to 8 years, sorry - you've got to make up the difference in the IRR.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
See all the references to US Code in your contract? That's where you'll find the 8 year rule.

8 years total time in service (mix of active and reserves) is what is required of EVERYONE who joins. Most enlisted guys who do 4 years and get out, serve 4 more years in the IRR. Officers do the same, unless they're Naval Aviators. Once you cross the 8 years of total time in service, you're free and clear to get out with no reserve commitment. If you get out prior to 8 years, sorry - you've got to make up the difference in the IRR.
My bad. I meant my contract mentioned nothing of required reserve time after the 8 years.

wapo1

Clarification? I know I read somewhere that if you are a Naval Aviator, not enlisted, but a pilot, there is a reserve commitment after the 8 year active commitment. No?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Most enlisted guys who do 4 years and get out, serve 4 more years in the IRR.

And you better believe they are making use of the IRR, resulting in some rude surprises. I met a guy last week who was an enlisted grunt, got out last summer after a 4 year tour, and in early December received 1 year involuntary mob orders for Afghanistan. If the Corps is so hard up for manpower, why didn't they just stop-loss the guy - rather than let him get out, get settled into a civilian job, and then 6 months later drop the Big One on him?

Oh wait, I know the answer already....

phrogpilot73

Nope 8 yrs period.
What she said. There's a bajillion different service commitments. First is the 8 year commitment (which has to be a mix of active/reserve) that starts ticking down the minute you enter the service (boot camp or commissioning). Then there is a commitment if you went NROTC scholarship or Academy. That ticks down concurrently. You also have an 8 year commitment if you wing. All of these count down concurrently. The only issue is if you DOR/Attrite out of flight school, the time you spent in flight school doesn't count towards your commitment for NROTC/Academy/education payback, but DOES count toward your 8 years total required. SO, if you're a pilot that wings you serve 8 years after winging + time to wings > 8 years from when you commissioned. So no, there is no commitment for the reserves after that.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Here is a crazy question in relation to the Admin Sep thread that we had recently too. A nice What If Hypothetical.

What if you attrite/DOR from flight training and get an admin sep and they make you pay back your education. I assume you will still be IRR as you have not served 8 years. So you are a civilian, pay back some of your money and then get called back (I know the chance of them calling back somewho isan't qualified in anything is slim to none). Would the Navy then have to give back to you the money you gave back to them? Probably wouldn't happen, but I just thought of it.

phrogpilot73

In theory, yes they would have to pay the money back. HOWEVER, like I said in the admin sep thread - they don't have a legal leg to stand on with recoupment of your education. If you get admin sep'd and they ask for their money back - get a lawyer. You're willing and able to uphold your end of the contract, and they were unable to uphold their end. Here's some food for thought:

1994 Cheating Scandal at USNA - they were not required to repay.

Gay Midshipman voluntarily resigned in lieu of an investigation - he (after a long court battle) was not required to repay.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure if you're admin sep'd you don't go into the IRR. You become Joe civilian at that point.

sickboy

pilot
What she said. There's a bajillion different service commitments. First is the 8 year commitment (which has to be a mix of active/reserve) that starts ticking down the minute you enter the service (boot camp or commissioning).

How does this work for prior enlisted Midshipmen? Because I was seperated when I received my scholarship, but my active duty time counts for something right?

phrogpilot73

How does this work for prior enlisted Midshipmen? Because I was seperated when I received my scholarship, but my active duty time counts for something right?
It does count. My PEBD was adjusted to account for my prior-enlisted time and subtract my time at the Academy.