• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cutting back on fuel consumption...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
every surface vessel, no matter how small, should be nuclear powered from now on.

nuke RHIB is too much fun to say to not have them in the inventory.

snake020

Contributor
every surface vessel, no matter how small, should be nuclear powered from now on.

Didn't they get rid of the CGNs because the total cost when you include things like manning requirements turned out to be more than conventionally powered ships?

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
yea, i'm pretty sure they did get rid of them for said reason. my comment was tongue in cheek.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Maybe they should start charging for water on all P-3 flights just like US Airways.

MasterBates

The Nukes being more $$ to run was also back when fuel was a LOT cheaper.

Turbine powered boats are really bad on gas compared to diesel or steam, but have the "hit button, get moving" capability.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Maybe they should start charging for water on all P-3 flights just like US Airways.

That's silly man. That won't save much money.

Now making us fly with only three engines, now that'd save some gas! It isn't like we don't all have plenty of experience landing three engines...

AJB37

The Whidbey Island is powered by four 16-cylinder diesel engines capable of steaming at more than 20 knots. Steaming on one engine or two whenever possible cuts costs, Junge said. Planning transit time, speed and destination also maximizes efforts.
Wait, I'm confused... is the article implying that Whidbey Island is in fact a ship capable of moving and not a island, or am I retarded?

Edit: Nevermind, I just found out there is a USS Whidbey Island and that I am in fact retarded.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
that island sure does get shitty mileage. i checked google earth, and even steaming at 20 kts it's still just sitting there off the coast of washington. :icon_tong

incubus852

pilot
any P-3 guys wanna confirm this? i mean, it IS wikipedia and highly doubt improper info to be posted...

"Engine loiter shutdown
On many missions, an engine is shut down (usually engine 1 - the port outer engine) once on station to conserve fuel and extend the time aloft (and range when at low level). On occasion, both outboard engines can be shut down, aircraft weight, weather, and remaining fuel permitting. Long border patrol missions can last over ten hours and may include extra crew. The record for a P-3 is a 21.5 hour flight undertaken by the Royal New Zealand Air Force's No. 5 Squadron in 1972.
Engine 1 is the primary candidate for loiter shutdown because it is the only one without a generator, and is not needed for electrical power. Eliminating the exhaust from engine 1 also improves visibility from the observer stations on the port side of the aircraft."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-3_Orion

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
any P-3 guys wanna confirm this? i mean, it IS wikipedia and highly doubt improper info to be posted...

"Engine loiter shutdown
On many missions, an engine is shut down (usually engine 1 - the port outer engine) once on station to conserve fuel and extend the time aloft (and range when at low level). On occasion, both outboard engines can be shut down, aircraft weight, weather, and remaining fuel permitting. Long border patrol missions can last over ten hours and may include extra crew. The record for a P-3 is a 21.5 hour flight undertaken by the Royal New Zealand Air Force's No. 5 Squadron in 1972.
Engine 1 is the primary candidate for loiter shutdown because it is the only one without a generator, and is not needed for electrical power. Eliminating the exhaust from engine 1 also improves visibility from the observer stations on the port side of the aircraft."

Shutdown of one (or less often two) is standard during a long ONSTA.

Brett

Flugelman

Contributor

"Engine loiter shutdown

That was pretty standard back in the day, don't know about today. 12hr+ HiLast missions were common.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
That was pretty standard back in the day, don't know about today. 12hr+ HiLast missions were common.

Depends on the mentality of the front office/squadron at the time... Some squadrons mentality is not to shutdown an engine unless you absolutely have to while others shut one down pretty much as SOP when down low on station.