• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CV-61 Top Gun of the Pacific

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Will be taking her last ride to be cut up, all for one stinkin' penny, made two WestPacs on her with VAW-116, and CVW2,last cruise was in DESERT STORM. Shame being a floating museum wasn't in the cards.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/25/final-voyage-navy-pays-one-cent-to-scrap-aircraft-carrier/
uss%20ranger3.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Look at how small that deck is. Those Tomcats (and Intruders) really fill up the deck. Great pic.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
'82 Westpac. Flight deck was great. Quick, smooth and safe. Skipper was a hoot. Wardroom food sucked!!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. That's a lot of Grumman iron in that pic. :confused:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. That's a lot of Grumman iron in that pic. :confused:

I think there were a few air wings back in the late 80's that were 'all Grumman', just Tomcats and Intruders with no Hornets or Corsairs and a few lonely Hoovs in the mix.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was on a NORPAC in Big E with Coral Sea and Midway. Had occasion to shoot some approaches to Midway. Talk about an eye opener. I think the difference between Enterprise and Midway must be even more than Ranger and Bush.

jmcquate

Contributor
Was on a NORPAC in Big E with Coral Sea and Midway. Had occasion to shoot some approaches to Midway. Talk about an eye opener. I think the difference between Enterprise and Midway must be even more than Ranger and Bush.
If memory serves me, Midway was an Essex class hull. I know she couldn't have Tomcats in her airwing (I thing it was a JBD thing). Also, last airwing with F-4s...........definitely smaller that Ranger.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If memory serves me, Midway was an Essex class hull. I know she couldn't have Tomcats in her airwing (I thing it was a JBD thing). Also, last airwing with F-4s...........definitely smaller that Ranger.

Nope, she was much bigger than the Essex but still smaller than the later supercarriers that started with the Forrestal class.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nor did it have Hoovers. For that NORPAC (first of the cold war), Enterprise off loaded all the A-7s and left them in Atsugi to make room for a 4 plane Viking augment from my squadron, just back from our own Westpac, to make up for the lack of VS on Midway and Coral Sea. As we were operating north of the arctic circle in February and March, the A-7 guys got a good deal.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If memory serves me, Midway was an Essex class hull. I know she couldn't have Tomcats in her airwing (I thing it was a JBD thing).
Actually, CV-41 was built on a Battleship hull of the then new USS MONTANA, a new class of BB, abandoned after the Midway victory in June '42, the death knell of the battlewagon (new construction) in the future. She was commissioned only weeks after the Japanese surrender in 1945. I reported aboard MIDWAY in the drydock in January 1970, and made the '71 & '72 Westpac deployments.
Also, last airwing with F-4s...........definitely smaller that Ranger.
Smaller hull, but with an equivalent area flight deck (4 acres), constructed during the 1966-70 modernization overhaul at Hunters Point. She also lost her #3 waist catapult in the mod to make space for avionics support equipment for the A-6 She competed very ably with the 4-cat FORRESTAL "Supercarriors" in Alpha Strike launch performance throughout the rest of the air war (in fact, earned the PUC for the ship/CVW-5 performance during "Linebacker II", in 1972)!
Nope, she was much bigger than the Essex but still smaller than the later supercarriers that started with the Forrestal class.
True that, Flash!

*Photo: USS MIDWAY (CVA-41), steaming past "Fisherman's Wharf" enroute to post overhaul sea trials - mid-1970

BzB

Attachments

• USS Midway Sea Trials - 1970.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20