• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dances with Death: Russian documentaries on SAM's in Vietnam

WOLFSON

Should I be looking forward to Bond-esque profile shots of women dancing on my radar screen? Those Russians get all the cool technology.

Raptor2216

Just a question but can anyone really trust a Russian "documentary"? I wonder how much information they falsified in the making of this vid.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good find.

Interesting stuff……..if you can get by some of the Commie propaganda.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
the CCCP was the world's greatest paper tiger, ever. I'm sure some of the old guys that did big deck emcon right off their coast and flew simulated SIOP strikes will attest to that. They were scared absolutely shitless of CVBGs taking out Vlad, Petr, Sayda Guba and Severodvinsk before they even knew we were there. Maybe USN should start practicing that lost art again.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Interesting indeed. Perhaps the weirdest thing to me is that the US planes and pilots still look...well...cool. We tend to make the enemy pilots look like dweebs in our similiar types of videos.

Thanks for the post.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
the CCCP was the world's greatest paper tiger, ever. I'm sure some of the old guys that did big deck emcon right off their coast and flew simulated SIOP strikes will attest to that. They were scared absolutely shitless of CVBGs taking out Vlad, Petr, Sayda Guba and Severodvinsk before they even knew we were there. Maybe USN should start practicing that lost art again.
The Ruskies were always paranoid (perhaps with some reason, given their history). But they were not even remotely a "paper tiger" during the Cold War.

At the time of their breakup, they had nearly 1500 ICBM's, and even more threatening 960 SLBM's that could wipe out every major city in the US several times over, not to mention their massive bomber fleet capabilities.

Without getting into details, they also had a good ability to track battle groups through long-range surveillance aircraft, satellite, subsurface and other assets, despite our long periods of EMCON and other special measures. To be sure, they had a few vulnerabilities, but they were indeed a formidable opponent that could have – as we could they – easily erased us from this earth.

The SAM's in the video also were not "paper tigers" either, as they shot down many of our finest men and equipment despite our countermeasures of the time. Furthermore, they (Russians/North Vietnamese) quickly adapted tactics to counter our countermeasures on a monthly if not weekly basis. It was a quick learning curve on both sides, a cat and mouse game, but it was a valuable RDT&E laboratory for the Soviets with little risk.

Though Soviet equipment had success in Vietnam, it was still with their least sophisticated equipment. They kept the best for the defense of the "Motherland." Vietnam was like single-A or AA- baseball compared to striking the "big league" of the USSR. And we came close to having the balloon go up on more than one occasion, and probably closer than most will ever know.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Wrong verbage I guess. I didn't mean to imply that they weren't a formidable adversary. What I meant was that some of the things I've read would lead one to believe that they were terrified at the prospect of fighting a conventional war with NATO. Soviet Army doctrine called for limited NBC strikes on select C3 nodes in Western Europe, (I don't think C4ISR had been coined yet!), when the Fulda Gap breakout was invariably stalled, to test NATO resolve. They suspected that we would respond in kind, rightly so. In any case, I'm glad cooler heads prevailed and we didn't have to fight those guys.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wrong verbage I guess. I didn't mean to imply that they weren't a formidable adversary. What I meant was that some of the things I've read would lead one to believe that they were terrified at the prospect of fighting a conventional war with NATO. Soviet Army doctrine called for limited NBC strikes on select C3 nodes in Western Europe, (I don't think C4ISR had been coined yet!), when the Fulda Gap breakout was invariably stalled, to test NATO resolve. They suspected that we would respond in kind, rightly so. In any case, I'm glad cooler heads prevailed and we didn't have to fight those guys.

I'm willing to bet our nuclear options were of the same... the whole "never use nukes" hasn't always been the envogue idea.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Wait, are you guys saying it would happen like in "Red Storm Rising"?

Damn, and I thought Tom had it right.....

But I think I would have rather been a cold warrior;)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I was thinking the Third World War, by General Sir John Hackett. Or the Team Yankee series by Harold Coyle.