• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO School Questions

AJC

This is my first posting as a new member of this forum, however, I think that this may be the only place that I can get a truly HONEST answer about DCO School.

My recruiter is for lack of a better word, terrible. He fails to return any number of telephone calls and is very slow to return an e-mail...if he ever does.

In the only meeting I've ever had with my recruiter I told him that I wanted to join the reserve to become a member of the Intelligence Community. He asked me some basic questions (GPA, Physical Condition, Work Experience, etc) and told be that all I had to do is fill out my commissioning application, national security questionnaire, acquire work references, and that the ASTB.

I was informed that I would submit my package and in January 2010 the Intel Selection Board would meet and make their selections. Upon selection he would take me to get my physical and I would sign my contract to be sent to DCO School.

I took my ASTB and got a 64 on the OAR, submitted commissioning docs and my security questionnaire. My references are still coming in.

The information I have received from other sources, however, says that I have to go to OCS and spend 24 months on an assignment before I go back to my civilian career and begin drilling.

I need to know what is going on! I need to know what must be submitted before the selection board meets, I need to know if DCO school is really only 2 weeks and then I simply begin drilling, I need to know everything!

I began working for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in June 2009 after graduating college and I don't want to loose my job because I'll be going to active duty for a few years after just beginning working for them.

I need help.

ray25017

As a DCO, you will not go to OCS nor will you serve on active duty (initially). If selected for DCO intel, you will perform about a year's worth of drilling for intel training (1 weekend a month). Additionally, you will attend a 2-week intel 'capstone' course in San Diego. You will also, of course, have to attend the 2-week DCO course in Newport.

As far as your job with the VA, it's safe, should you go on active duty. But, if you're scared of going on active duty... stay away from the military. A commitment to be a Naval Officer, frankly, supercedes your aspirations as a civilian with the VA.

Good luck with your application.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Over on Military.com, there is a relatively active forum that has a lot of Navy DCO discussions - you can find a lot of your questions answered there: http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/933192012

My single biggest obstacle in the DCO process was a less-than-engaged recruiter. Like a lot of lanes in life, there are some some studs and some duds in the world of recruiters. Be polite but persistent. (Emphasis on the polite part - they are in control of your destiny, and pissing them off will not help you in the application process.)

AJC

Thank You

Thank you both for the speedy responses, they are most helpful.

With regards to going on active duty, I have not qualms with serving on active duty my only concern was that I would like to have at least a year in my new job before I leave for an extended period (more than 6 months). I realize that I could be called up for AD at any time and I welcome the opportunity, I just want to become more experienced in civilian duties before I leave for an extended period.

I will maintain respect for my recruiter at all times and I think hes slowly learning that persistence is my middle name. I just hope he's not getting angry with me for leaving the same voice mail/e-mail every other day:D.

Again, thank you for your help, I can't wait to get my commission (fingers crossed).

ray25017

To be honest with you, should you be accepted for intel, it'll be the better part of a year before you're even commissioned (so plenty of time at your job with the VA).

Assuming the board meets in January... You hear something (best case), Beginning of February... You go and do your medical (assuming that hasn't been completed)... Then, you wait for the final steps (commissioning docs)... Then, you wait for your first drill. So, assuming January is the board, I wouldn't expect to be pinning on Ensign any sooner than next summer (or, roughly 7+ months from now).