• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DD-214 awards Do Not Match Record

Roosterj

I am currently applying to OCS as a former sailor.

Today I received my electronic record (CD) from Bupers, and i am shocked to find my awards on my DD-214 do not match the awards in my electronic jacket. My questions is should i list the awards on my DD-214 or the awards from my service record?

Thanks

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...i am shocked to find my awards on my DD-214 do not match the awards in my ... jacket. ...
No shit. And I can't get a copy of my service record -- they keep sending me a hard copy of an incomplete DD-214. I had to go to "war" w/ the NAV to get all my retirement points. And yet ... I get full retirement pay/bennies ... even though they "lost" my record for @ 4 years.

I've tried 3 times through New Orleans (formerly) and now Milllllllllllington.

The canned response: not available .... :confused:

Next stop: Congressman.

Roosterj

Which one is more accurate to what you actually earned?

DD-214 is more accurate. My worry is i will end up like that Admiral who was wearing something he did not rate to wear.
Before leaving the Navy I made sure PSD has all the copys of awards and worked with the guys at psd to research awards that i thought i was eligible for, so either they screwed up or I did.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Don't know if this will help, but you can look up awards from your previous commands here
https://awards.navy.mil/awards/webbas01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/home.htm?OpenDocument

You can also send in a copy of your DD-214 (fax, e-mail maybe) and have them update your electronic jacket. The DD-214 is your proof of everything you did while in the military. When I signed mine they told me to put it in a safe place, because its a beeatch trying to get a replacement. I would use the 214 to back up your OCS package.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Ya gotta love the assfucks at PSD...you can bet THEIR record isn't fucked up, and they never have pay issues...:icon_rage

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Don't just accept what is on your DD-214. They screwed up my rifle/pistol quals. I had to call the Academy to get it fixed. Don't let them tell you that it can't be changed.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, dumb question on this topic. Is awards.navy.mil supposed to list things like the pizza stain/GWOTSM? Because my record is showing bupkis. I've never received a NAM or any other individual decoration like that, but I know I rate the NDSM, and got issued one by my ROTC unit the day I was commissioned.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
OK, dumb question on this topic. Is awards.navy.mil supposed to list things like the pizza stain/GWOTSM? Because my record is showing bupkis. I've never received a NAM or any other individual decoration like that, but I know I rate the NDSM, and got issued one by my ROTC unit the day I was commissioned.

awards.navy.mil just shows my personal awards. It doesn't show awards like NDSM, GWOTEM, GWOTSM, Batlle E etc.. There is a message somewhere that says who and during what timeframe individuals were awarded the NDSM. When I initially enlisted in the 90's I wasn't awarded one. It didn't get authorized again until the message came out in the early 2000's.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

No. I'm pretty sure it lags behind reality. I recently ordered my record (which was previously incomplete) and it indicated more awards (correctly, somehow) than what was on the awards site. When it comes down to it, all that really matters is what's in your real record, and if that's not right, on your -214, if applicable.

FWIW, I'm on my 3rd -214, and it's still not completely correct (I have one GWOT award on there that I'm not completely sure I rate even though I meet the loose requirements), although more so now than the last one, but my electronic record is right on (finally). Now I just need to do something about that pesky picture I keep putting off....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... pretty sure it lags behind reality. I recently ordered my record (which was previously incomplete) and it indicated more awards (correctly, somehow) than what was on the awards site. When it comes down to it, all that really matters is what's in your real record, and if that's not right, on your -214, if applicable.....

Sooooooooooooooooo ... when you "can't get" your "real" service record which has been "off paper" for over 20 years ... and your 3rd DD-214 is incorrect and the same as the first one ... what is one to do???

'Cept for the aforementioned "contact my Congressman" ... ??? I want something "easier" ... something that won't take 2-3 years. :confused:

MasterBates

awards.navy.mil only shows my COM for JTF Katrina, does not show my "group medals"

NDSM, which I have had since soon after 9/11
GWOT Service, which I have had for a while
Humanitarian Service, which a butt-ton of us got for Katrina/Rita

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sooooooooooooooooo ... when you "can't get" your "real" service record which has been "off paper" for over 20 years ... and your 3rd DD-214 is incorrect and the same as the first one ... what is one to do???

'Cept for the aforementioned "contact my Congressman" ... ??? I want something "easier" ... something that won't take 2-3 years. :confused:

It's not my fault you were born before the internets. Smiles, of course. As for an incorrect 3rd -214, I guess I would blame only the service member (myself included). I finally fixed some stuff on my second one so it was "correct." The third one introduced a new puzzle, but at the end of the day, I still signed it, so it's no one's responsibility but my own...just like my pay, leave, etc. All knowledge I have no doubt A4s is well aware of.