• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dealing with Recruiters..

KVS89

I recently filled out a request for more information online from the Navy website. Today an enlisted recruiter called me.. he seemed like he just wanted to sign me up for Navy reserves.. I tried to just get him to send me some officer brochures and stuff to get more information but he insisted that I come in to their office to look at some reserve program stuff.

I am just starting college in August and so right now my intent is just to get information... I want to spend the next year preparing myself physically and getting applications together for an actual officer program such as NROTC or BDCP.

Has anyone else had problems with recruiters trying to enlist you? I guess when I get to college there will be recruiters there more interested in recruiting officers. Should I just wait until then?

KVS89

Yeah, should have done that from the start. I screwed up and agreed to go meet the enlisted recruiter already.. He did say they have the NROTC stuff though.

schwarti

Contributor
Enlisted recruiters aren't as likely to help you as much as an officer's recruiter for three reasons. One, they're enlisted, so they won't be able to give you an officer's perspective. Two, they may not know as much about the various commissioning programs. Three, they have quotas to meet - and they're looking for intelligent, motivated people, so they may try to convince you to enlist.

That isn't to say that enlisted recruiters are bad, or anything like that - you're just probably going to get better information from an officer recruiter. When you went on the Navy website, did you request information using the officer programs part of the site? You can also find the number for your local NRD (Naval Recruiting District) and ask them for the number for the officer recruiter there.

Just some suggestions. Enlist if you want to, but don't get pressured into enlisting if you want a commission.

Edit: And I typed too slow, so everyone said all that already. :D

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Yeah, should have done that from the start. I screwed up and agreed to go meet the enlisted recruiter already.. He did say they have the NROTC stuff though.
Just remember that you dont have to sign anything. I went in to an enlisted recruiter to get information for the reserves and told them straight up that I was not going to sign anything but would just want some info and there was no pressure about it. Stick to your guns and call the Officer recruiter.

KVS89

Thanks guys, all useful help. I know when I called he didn't know about BDCP at all, had never heard of it. He also tried to convince me with the "all companys like to hire from the inside.. you're more likely to get a commission if you join the reserves".. I couldn't believe I was hearing it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks guys, all useful help. I know when I called he didn't know about BDCP at all, had never heard of it. He also tried to convince me with the "all companys like to hire from the inside.. you're more likely to get a commission if you join the reserves".. I couldn't believe I was hearing it.

He's a salesman, always keep that in mind. Doesn't make it wrong or him a bad person, but as others have said, know he's trying to meet a quota. You're getting good gouge here already. You probably already have, but be sure to peruse through the BDCP (or ROTC if interested) threads here to get lots of good answers you may have (or don't know you have yet).

skim

None
Contributor
Talk to Brett or any other Mustang for that perspective...

skim

None
Contributor
Can anyone give some insight on the comment skim is referring to? (my post right above skim's)
A mustang is someone who started as enlisted and then received their commission. From what I have heard, there is more to deal with (Chain of Command etc.) enlisting first rather than coming in as a civilian. It is not impossible to do, but can have more hurdles.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Can anyone give some insight on the comment skim is referring to? (my post right above skim's)

It is needless to say that he is wrong about it being easier to get a commission through the enlisted ranks. In fact, it is among the most difficult ways to earn a commission for several reasons that have been discussed before. Stick to an Officer recruiter for information concerning commissions.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I wonder why they push the reserves so hard. I know a guy who got a big bonus for signing up for the reserves, and you couldn't even get it for regular Navy.

skim

None
Contributor
I wonder why they push the reserves so hard. I know a guy who got a big bonus for signing up for the reserves, and you couldn't even get it for regular Navy.
What did he sign up for? I dont think they give bonuses willy-nilly. When I walked in they pushed seabee or corpman.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
He's a salesman, always keep that in mind. Doesn't make it wrong or him a bad person, but as others have said, know he's trying to meet a quota. You're getting good gouge here already. You probably already have, but be sure to peruse through the BDCP (or ROTC if interested) threads here to get lots of good answers you may have (or don't know you have yet).

Right on. I got pushed into enlisting into the Marine Corps after telling the recruiter I was in NROTC and committed to becoming a Naval Aviator. The same goes with the Navy recruiter folks, who keep asking me to join the Reserves. I understand they have a quota, but sometimes it can get too much.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
They just wanted to make you a "life taker, and heart breaker"...;)