• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Death of (another famous) Congressman

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Secretary Gates on Death of Congressman Charlie Wilson

"I had the unforgettable experience of knowing Congressman Wilson when I was at CIA and he was working tirelessly on behalf of the Afghan resistance fighting the Soviets. As the world now knows, his efforts and exploits helped repel an invader, liberate a people, and bring the Cold War to a close. After the Soviets left, Charlie kept fighting for the Afghan people and warned against abandoning that traumatized country to its fate -- a warning we should have heeded then, and should remember today.

"America has lost an extraordinary patriot whose life showed, once more, that one brave and determined person can alter the course of history. My condolences to Barbara and the rest of the Wilson family."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Discussions of Congressman Murtha rarely end up in happy places. I'll be refraining from comment.

This is about Charlie Wilson

charlie-wilsons-war.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From everything I've read, Tom Hanks if anything dialed it down from the 'real' Charlie Wilson. Congress could stand some colorful characters. And a Boat Schooler!

He was a man, taken for all in all. We shall not look upon his like again.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
This quote regarding his alleged use of cocaine got a chuckle from me:
]In "The Charlie Wilson real story" Wilson reveals he traveled to Las Vegas in the summer of 1980, and recalls an experience with two strippers in a hot tub.

The girls had cocaine, and the music was loud. It was total happiness. And both of them had ten long, red fingernails with an endless supply of beautiful white powder....The feds spent a million bucks trying to figure out whether, when those fingernails passed under my nose, did I inhale or exhale, and I ain't telling.
- Charile Wilson

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Charlie Wilson sounds like the kind of guy you want in the wardroom, warts and all.

jmcquate

Contributor
He did bring his drinking buddies, a couple of cases of booze, Miss USA and his secretary for an all night party abourd the Saratoga.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From everything I've read, Tom Hanks if anything dialed it down from the 'real' Charlie Wilson. Congress could stand some colorful characters. And a Boat Schooler!

He was a man, taken for all in all. We shall not look upon his like again.

One of my "entourage" was a Congressional Liaison when on active duty who accompanied Rep Wilson on his trips to Navy Commands. He said movie was very conservative compared to the real deal. Hos comment to me upon hearing the news was people wouldn't believe the real Charlie Wilson and think Hollywood made it up. All in all, he considers him to be a Great American.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The book Charlie Wilson's War was an awesome read. Some of the tale of the CIA and the Muj were interesting enough. Wilson was quite a character as well.