• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

December 07 Helitac

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Gents,

I just got my December 07 HeliTac in the mail the other day (either mail from New Zealand is shipped via Sea Anemone or my freebie subscription isn't high priority, but I'm not complaining one bit), and I just wanted to get some helo pilot views on the subject covered in the letter from the Editor. He makes the point that there is an extraordinary amount of money spent on fighter programs like the F-22 and JSF, but worldwide, militaries are falling short on pilots, maintainers and airframes in the helicopter community. He also makes the case that there are no big innovations going on in helicopters when held up next to the pointy nose programs.

He praised the Marine Corps for holding the V-22 program together and scraping together the funds for CH-53K, but what then immediately came to my mind were the archaic H-1s and 46s.

So what is the overall thought among aviators on the disproportionate amount of money spent on fixed wing jets while it is the helicopter that is in battle and in real world operation every minute of every day somewhere in the world?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Have you forgotten about the H-1 upgrades program, and the fact that the V-22 is the replacement for the 46?

No, I also thought about the new upgrades program, and that the 46 is going away, but this isn't the point. The point is that there hasn't been any really new stuff in quite awhile. The V-22 is new stuff, but it's not purely a helicopter, and it went through hell to get to where it is. As far as helicopters go, they're taking the old stuff, and doing some Frankenstein shit to keep it relevant, but not necessarily cutting edge.

Quick questions though- Are the upgrade packages just upgrades on the current airframes, or are new ones coming out? Do the upgraded aircraft have the OTH capability that the Marine Corps has such a hard-on about?

phrogpilot73

The H-1's and the H-53K are completely new airframes. The problem is, there just isn't much more you can do aerodynamically to a helicopter. Composite blades, elastomeric heads, swept blade tips is about it. The technological advances lie in the avionics in the helo world.

In the 53K, it's going to be an all-glass cockpit, with the ability to utilize TDLs (Link 16 and VMF), encrypted wireless ICS, Fly By Wire, terrain avoidance with forward looking algorithms, a troop commanders station that actually helps build his SA on the way into the zone, etc...

Not to mention since it's a new airframe, they could make other design improvements (cabin wide enough to accomodate Air Force pallets for example).

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I believe the Army is still spending tons of money in their helicopter programs; they just started using the new F and G model 47's. Phrogpilot73 is right, most of the things they update is in the avionics, such as adding TF radar.

Check Six

either mail from New Zealand is shipped via Sea Anemone or my freebie subscription isn't high priority, but I'm not complaining one bit

We looked at Sea Anenomees but the bastards were too expensive :) :)

Seriously, we had a screw up with NZ Post where the mag sat in their warehouse for ages instead of being airmailed out. Full of apologies to us but that didnt change the facts. Sorry about.

Ned