• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deciding NFO or pilot for service selection

I am an upcoming senior in NROTC and just completed my summer training with VFA 122, the flying eagles. The experience was incredible and I was thrilled to get the opportunity for two backseat rides in the super hornet! After returning back to reality, I realized that time is ticking and I don't have much time to make a decision on what I prefer to do with my life! I know I want to be a part of naval aviation, but the question is, do I think I would be a better pilot or NFO? I have always thought that I should go big or go home and put pilot as my first choice, but I have some things to consider. I am not sure if I would LOVE flying the aircraft and it makes me kinda nervous thinking about having all that responsibility. Looking at the NFOs job, I think I would feel more confident being a director, navigator, mission runner. There is also the look at time commitment of service. It seems the NFOs aren't required as many years? I really like P8s and growlers and would really prefer to be fixed wing or in that community as opppsoed to helos. I also hear that it's easier to be a woman in those communities especially if you wanted to start a family or to have a solid location for your family (whidbey island), as opposed to many different places to be stationed. My ASTB was OAR: 50, 676. As far as medically qualified, I had lasik so that pilot would be an option. I also had an ACL, MCL, meniscus surgery that I had to put in a waiver for and it came back that I need to go see a surgeon to get a current update on my knee status. That should be done by august and I'm pretty sure that's when my selection package will be sent in. I am doing really well physically and in better shape than before my injury so I don't think that will be a problem. I am really trying to make the most informed decision as possible and would love any feedback! Thank you!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like you'd be happy either way. Put them both down and see what happens.

One thing I would mention, though, is your comment about P-8/VP and home life. There's no such thing as family-friendly Fleet tours. Whatever community you select, you'll be on the road a lot. You'll also PCS regularly in every community. The Navy just doesn't do homesteading, though every community has a "mothership" base (like Jax for VP) where it is possible to do multiple tours in the same area.

Just saying - don't use 'stable home life' as a criterion. For now, get your aviation billet, focus on the next alligator at each step, talk to instructors from the different communities about what they're like, and things will work out. Good luck.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I know I want to be a part of naval aviation, but the question is, do I think I would be a better pilot or NFO? I have always thought that I should go big or go home and put pilot as my first choice, but I have some things to consider.
Be careful about categorizing a selection for pilot as somehow transcending any opportunity to be an NFO.

petey42

pilot
I am an upcoming senior in NROTC and just completed my summer training with VFA 122, the flying eagles. The experience was incredible and I was thrilled to get the opportunity for two backseat rides in the super hornet! After returning back to reality, I realized that time is ticking and I don't have much time to make a decision on what I prefer to do with my life! I know I want to be a part of naval aviation, but the question is, do I think I would be a better pilot or NFO? I have always thought that I should go big or go home and put pilot as my first choice, but I have some things to consider. I am not sure if I would LOVE flying the aircraft and it makes me kinda nervous thinking about having all that responsibility. Looking at the NFOs job, I think I would feel more confident being a director, navigator, mission runner. There is also the look at time commitment of service. It seems the NFOs aren't required as many years? I really like P8s and growlers and would really prefer to be fixed wing or in that community as opppsoed to helos. I also hear that it's easier to be a woman in those communities especially if you wanted to start a family or to have a solid location for your family (whidbey island), as opposed to many different places to be stationed. My ASTB was OAR: 50, 676. As far as medically qualified, I had lasik so that pilot would be an option. I also had an ACL, MCL, meniscus surgery that I had to put in a waiver for and it came back that I need to go see a surgeon to get a current update on my knee status. That should be done by august and I'm pretty sure that's when my selection package will be sent in. I am doing really well physically and in better shape than before my injury so I don't think that will be a problem. I am really trying to make the most informed decision as possible and would love any feedback! Thank you!

Both sides have their pros and cons. That being said, I know a handful of NFOs considering putting in packages to be pilots, but have never even heard of a pilot considering a change to NFO. Take that with a grain of salt, but I think its worth considering.