• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Degree questions (Life Story Included)

tehsleeper

[If you don't want to read all of this scroll to the bottom]

I'm just another guy pining for an SNA slot. I actually hate seeing fighters fly anywhere in my sight, or hearing them for that matter. I nearly turn green with envy, I actually get a little mad.

I've got a few questions regarding my degree and how my overall college plan is going to pan out.

I've been attending ERAU Prescott for a year and a half now. I started as AFROTC, Aeronautical Science (Commercial Pilot). Within the first semester at school I found out the Air Force was not for me. Nothing wrong with the branch other than the large amount of toolbags I wouldn't trust in a combat situation even if you payed me a large sum of money. The major wasn't exactly my cup of tea either; I love to fly but I'd like a degree that qualifies me for more than flight. The flight program here at ERAU is pretty much engineered to make the most profit off of students. It takes about a year and some extra weeks in the summer to get a Private Pilot's License through Riddle. Absolutely attrocious.

After a year as AS I decided to do Global Security Intelligence Studies because I love history and after the military I'd like to become a history teacher. I also didn't mind the idea of an intelligence type career after the military as well. That all changed. Found out I didn't want the intelligence type career at all, just not for me.

Long story short my grades, for what credits I kept taking, are not good at this point. I dropped a few courses during my time as AS and I'm about to drop one before the end of this semester. This semester I should be solid grade wise.

I've been involved with some student organizations, not a whole lot being that I was just a freshman.

I've decided to leave this school, the only avenue to successfully transfer to another college is to go to a CC for a semester and build credits. I want to take a liberal arts degree, something broad. Right now I'm 90% almost none of my credits here will transfer anywhere. I will be a 20 year old freshman somewhere. I fucked up. I know from here I will need get damn near perfect grades in order to make up for my major fubar of my first one and a half years of college. How does the Navy view this hopping around of schools? I talked to my Marine OSO, he seemed fine with it.(I'm looking into both, the Navy is more realistic for me)

So basically, does degree matter a whole lot to the Navy? Will my transferring of schools and my few early low grades look bad? I'm hoping strong improvement will help the Navy's view of me. I'm prepared to buckle down and work extra hard, this has been my dream as long as I can remember. I wouldn't want my middle school self coming back to beat my ass.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
So basically, does degree matter a whole lot to the Navy?

Degree only plays a part in the sense that they expect a technical major (ME, CS, etc.) to have a lower GPA than say...an Underwater Basket Weaving major. That's not to say you can get away with having a crap GPA as a tech major. It's just understood that technical majors tend to take the more difficult classes and have to work harder.

Will my transferring of schools and my few early low grades look bad?

Low grades can never look good -- kick ass for the rest of college and make those bad grades look like a mistake that you've learned from.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Degree only plays a part in the sense that they expect a technical major (ME, CS, etc.) to have a lower GPA than say...an Underwater Basket Weaving major. That's not to say you can get away with having a crap GPA as a tech major. quote]

And what is wrong with that??? :)

underwater-basket-weaving-degree.jpg

phrogpilot73

I actually hate seeing fighters fly anywhere in my sight, or hearing them for that matter.
I know how you feel. I feel the same way, hence the reason I fly helos! :D

...I found out the Air Force was not for me...
...The major wasn't exactly my cup of tea either...
...I decided to do Global Security Intelligence Studies...
...Found out I didn't want the intelligence type career at all, just not for me...
...I dropped a few courses during my time as AS and I'm about to drop one before the end of this semester...
...I've decided to leave this school...
...I want to take a liberal arts degree, something broad...
You sound a wee bit indecisive. Not that it's a huge deal, since you're only 20 years old (I'm pretty sure I was indecisive). If you really want to be in the Navy, look at college this way - a means to an end. That's all it is. I took the same attitude, and graduated from USNA and am now working on my Masters. You'll be surprised how much things will change once you're older.

As for the college excursion and the Navy, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I had a buddy that attended 5 different colleges in 7 years, even worked at a milk packing plant for a while. He just got out of the Marine Corps after being a Phrog pilot for 6 years. It's not as important as you may think now.

MasterBates

I stayed at the same college all 5 years, but changed majors from ME-EE to ME with a EE minor. College to me was a means to not doing what every other guy in my family did.. Joe jobs.

Was there, decided being Dilbert was not for me. Was already flying, gave the USN a shot, got in on BDCP, and am glad I did it.

Oh, and for various jobs, I did the gamut in college:
Welder
Truck Driver
Truck mechanic
CNC Mill Operator
Test Engineer
Airport Pump Jockey
Helicopter Pilot
Lab Assistant to a borderline mad scientist (no joke)

P3 F0

None
Within the first semester at school I found out the Air Force was not for me. Nothing wrong with the branch other than the large amount of toolbags I wouldn't trust in a combat situation even if you payed me a large sum of money.
Well, at least you've got that figured out. You're off to a good start.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I will be a 20 year old freshman somewhere. I fucked up.

I took three years off before going to college and played hockey, entered as a 21 year old freshman. Age doesn't matter as much as you think, and depending what you do with the time it can be a huge upside. Not to mention freshman credits + bars...

tehsleeper

Thank you for the information fellas.

Leaving this school has a few more reasons not relating to the degree. I just absolutely hate it here, I don't want to rob myself of a good experience elsewhere. I understand it is somewhat a means to an end, but I don't want to sacrifice four years of my life at a shitty college if I can help it.

As for joining the Navy or the Marines. To be real honest if I could join any branch it would be the Marines. I just don't feel it's realistic for me. I've always been a skinny guy, and I've been working my ass off for a few months now trying to get into shape Marine Corps wise. I'm not there yet, the sacrifice I would need to make to fully get my self in shape for the Corps wouldn't leave me any time for school work even. My ultimate goal is to fly with the military, so as for it being the Navy or the Marine Corps it won't make a gigantic difference. If I end up getting into the Navy, there very well could be a part of me that will always wish I had gotten into the Marine Corps.

phrogpilot73

To be real honest if I could join any branch it would be the Marines. I just don't feel it's realistic for me. I've always been a skinny guy, and I've been working my ass off for a few months now trying to get into shape Marine Corps wise.
The only limits you have are those that you've set. You can do more than you think, just put your mind to it. Almost 16 years ago, I was an 18 year old kid that was 5'7" and 128lbs, going through boot camp as a recruit. I got out of the Marine Corps as a Captain and a helicopter pilot. Anything is possible.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I stayed at the same college all 5 years, but changed majors from ME-EE to ME with a EE minor. College to me was a means to not doing what every other guy in my family did.. Joe jobs.

Was there, decided being Dilbert was not for me. Was already flying, gave the USN a shot, got in on BDCP, and am glad I did it.

Oh, and for various jobs, I did the gamut in college:
Welder
Truck Driver
Truck mechanic
CNC Mill Operator
Test Engineer
Airport Pump Jockey
Helicopter Pilot
Lab Assistant to a borderline mad scientist (no joke)

You should write a book. Include your lurid tales of trailer living and it will be a best-seller.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Ever consider taking a year off and going to work? Finding yourself in a miserable career is one hell of a motivation to figure out where you want to go in life.