• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Delays in BDCP Acceptance/Swearing In? Info PLEASE

nivalsj

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone has information on how long it typically takes to get accepted, sworn in, and start getting paid through the Navy's Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program?

I went to my recruiter in October, got the application submitted in November and was told it wouldn't be reviewed by the until February. After I was accepted, I've been delayed by background checks, a lost PRT, incorrect eye exam, and I don't know what else. Every week my being sworn in is put off again. And every week that happens is over $700 I am not going to receive--that's money I need for school.

Has anyone gone through this process, either as a recruit or recruiter and can provide insight into whether my case in particular is unique? I'm getting very frustrated. I want to serve in the Navy but not when I feel like I'm being jerked around like this.

OccamsRazor

Final Select BDCP Intel
You're not alone. I was pro-recced in the October Boards - found out 3 November - but didn't swear in until February this year because of the Christmas holiday, security clearance, a medical waiver, etc. It's bureaucracy. Nobody is trying to jerk you around or deprive you of money (though I know it seems like it). Have patience, stay in touch with your recruiter, make sure any paperwork gets sent in ASAP, and never forget why you're doing it - because you want to wear the uniform of an officer in the United States Navy.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Um, it took 8 months from first phone call to getting sworn in. Then it took another 3 months to get my first paycheck since getting all the paperwork sorted out is a PITA.

If you're counting on BDCP to pay bills by a certain date, you're going to be sadly disappointed. I hope this is more than just $$ to you too...

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
main things to hangup final select is medical, prt and then security clearance. Call your OR and see if anything is missing on your end if not, just gotta wait. I dealt with people losing faxes and ect, just sent another copy asap. Hurts to miss a possible pay check but, atleast you have a spot in competitive program and not getting rolled from multiple boards. read the march, april, ect boards and count your blessings.

Once you swear in might be a lil while to get paid, but you'll get back paid to your enlistment date.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I want to serve in the Navy but not when I feel like I'm being jerked around like this.

Welcome to working for the US Gov't. Bureaucracies can be terribly inefficient. I had to do my MEPS exam 3 (three) times. Why? They lost the paperwork twice.

A piece of advice.... Always keep a personal copy of everything for your own records. Also, get used to long waits and drawn out processes.

acwildcat

pilot
I am in the same boat as the OP I got pro recd Feb after turning in the app in November. So I am still waiting on the Final Select so I can swear in. Medical got ok'ed and Background check is passed but I am still waiting on Final Select

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
We all had to wait for what seemed to be an extraordinary amount of time......if you need money that bad then get a part time job somewhere until you get those paychecks.

Semisonic9

Sad, but true. I'm enrolling 2 years from degree completion, and my recruiter is like "man...we should have had you in here doing this 14 months ago."

le lyon

NFO BDCP'er
Honestly, my process went very quickly. I think it was more due to my OR than anything else. He was one hell of a go-getter. I met him for the first time, and within three weeks, I had taken the ASTB, taken my PRT, and gone to MEPS. From the day my package was finished and sent in it took a month and a half to get word of my selection. It was two weeks after that that I got sworn in, and another two weeks for me to get my first paycheck.:icon_wink

Semisonic9

I'm curious: Are you paid from the date you swear in, and it just takes awhile to get the first paycheck, including back pay for the time since you've sworn in, or do you swear in, and then there's some delay for whatever reason, and then the clock starts and you start getting paid a few weeks later?

More important than pay, I'm curious when my "time in service" kicks off.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The day you swear in is the day you will start accumulating pay, time in service, and leave.