• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dental certification letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwoda

I apparently won't be able to contact my OSO for a few days, so I'm asking this here.

I just received my info packet for what to expect for OCS, and under the list of required documents was listed 'dental certification letter'. What exactly is this? Is it just a letter written and signed by my local dentist claiming my teeth are in good working order? Or is there a required form?

Bobcat

PLC Sr.'s 05
Zwoda,
I had the same concerns you had before I went to OCS this past summer. I was desperate to get a dental check-up before I went because I had read that was a big reason candidates get sent home. However, once I got there not one person looked at my teeth. I don't know why they say that. My best guess is that if you're there, and you say "every time I drink water my tooth feels like it's going to jump out of my freakin head," then they will send you home on the basis of being warned prior to OCS. It also says that if you damage your teeth while you're there, they'll take care of it. My guess is that means if you're "pugil stickin in the jungle" and you get two teeth knocked out, they will take care of you and not send you home. This was only my experience, maybe others were inspected but certainly not me.

Zwoda

So you went to OCS without any dental forms/documentation, I take it? My OSO just gave me the impression that I would be getting some dental forms that I needed to have my dentist fill out before shipping down.

Luckily my teeth are in good order.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
The reason for the dental statement is someone went down to OCS many, many, many moons ago with jacked-up teeth expecting the government to pay for it. Also, if you're spending more time in the dentist chair than training, you obviously can't get evaluated. Therefore, they make you go see a dentist prior to starting training. The government doesn't want to pay for broken goods, unless the government broke it. Does that make sense?

Zwoda

I was aware of the reasoning behind it, I was just curious what the document exactly was, to see if I was missing a form. I wound up calling my OSO last week and it turns out that the Dental certification letter is just a signed letter from my dentist stating my teeth is good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.