• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployment and Family Life

staff03

Hopefully this is the right place to post this: I just spoke to an ex Air Force pilot about being a pilot in the Navy. He told me about the deployment timelines and said that in general cases, pilots will go on deployment for about 6 months and then at home for 18 months. I was curious if this is correct, and if not then what is the general situation on being deployed in the Navy. Any help will be useful, thanks. The only reason I ask is because my local recruiter told me differently.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hopefully this is the right place to post this: I just spoke to an ex Air Force pilot about being a pilot in the Navy. He told me about the deployment timelines and said that in general cases, pilots will go on deployment for about 6 months and then at home for 18 months. I was curious if this is correct, and if not then what is the general situation on being deployed in the Navy. Any help will be useful, thanks. The only reason I ask is because my local recruiter told me differently.

I would say on average that would be am optimistic best case scenario. More likely, you'll deploy between 6-8 months followed by a year at home. Mind you, those 12 months at "home" will include a significant work-up period with the airwing where you're on the boat or Fallon for weeks at a time.

Brett

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
This is my $0.02 - the best advice and information you can get is usually gonna come from someone who is in the same branch of service that you seek to get information about. There are plenty of qualified people on this board who will correctly answer your questions.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I would say on average that would be am optimistic best case scenario....More likely ...
Roger that ... even back-in-the-day ... while stationed @ NUW for a cumulative 55 months, including RAG-time and 3 cruises --- I was physically on the "Rock" a grand total of 17 months spread over those 55 months.

Cruises, workups, schools, detachments, blah, blah, blah ... it's not just a job .. it's an adventure. Pack lightly .... :)

staff03

I understand that when you are "back" for a year you aren't just hanging out. So I guess my other quesiton is how much do you get to see your family on average? Thanks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand that when you are "back" for a year you aren't just hanging out. So I guess my other quesiton is how much do you get to see your family on average? Thanks

I saw mine every day - they're called shipmates. ;)

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have always wanted to join the Navy, as my Daddy had(even though he hated it, and my uncle before him. My Uncle was the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy!), but neither were officers. I was lucky enough to have my school paid for because I could play football, but now I am 28 yrs old and have 2 kids. I was told my my local recruiter that I must get a waiver because of my dependents. What needs to be in order for that waiver to be passed? on a second question: what do I need to score on my entrance exam to be eligible? My GPA was not the best as playing football and keeping a job hurt my study time.

If you are talking about an officer program, Brett's answer is right on. If you are talking about an enlisted program a waiver for two dependants is necessary and not a big deal to get. All you do is have an interview with an officer (back in the day anyway, may be delegated to a CPO now).

As to test scores, for officer you take the astb and your scores have to be very good, especially if your gpa is low. On the enlisted side, you take the asvab and the scores required vary depending on the program you want. I expect any college grad will score high enough on the asvab to qualify for a boat load of career options.

Bottoms line. Make sure you are talking to the right guy for what you want. See an officer recruiter for officer programs. I expect the guy you are talking to is an enlisted programs recruiter based on the dependant waiver comment.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know, I know. But honestly, in general cases between being deployed and home, about how often will your average pilot get to see their REAL family.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's pretty much an unanswerable question. It depends on a whole lot of variables. Some people are deployed more than others. You get used to it and in the grand scheme of things, it probably belongs at the bottom of your list of criteria for selecting a career in the service.

Brett

Fred

I know, I know. But honestly, in general cases between being deployed and home, about how often will your average pilot get to see their REAL family.

I agree with Brett...too many variables to even take a stab at this. During my husbands first sea tour, he was gone 31 out of 37mo. The last sea tour he was home 15 out of 30 months.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's pretty much an unanswerable question. It depends on a whole lot of variables. Some people are deployed more than others. You get used to it and in the grand scheme of things, it probably belongs at the bottom of your list of criteria for selecting a career in the service.

Brett

I think what Brett is trying to reinforce here is that trying to "focus" on how much time you'll spend with your family, or trying to figure out how stable your family life will be is fruitless. I have made seven deployments during my time in the Navy, not to mention all the counter-narcotic deployments to the caribbean, battle group work-ups, Fallon, the list goes on and on and on. Your qualification as a pilot and membership in a squadron demands that you focus on the bigger picture (your CVW, deployment schedule, combat readiness, etc). My family has been EXTREMELY supportive of my career and quite frankly, I couldn't have enjoyed so much success without them. Having said that, at the end of the day, they know that Uncle Sam comes first - because that's what we do!
:icon_carn