• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployments and Workups

Byrdman

This has probably been answered, and if so just point me in the direction of that thread. I understand on deployments of course you are away from your family. However, during workups id it just long hours of work and you still get to be with you family or are you away from your family during that time as well?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a carrier pilot/NFO workups means back and forth to sea for a few weeks at a time off and on for the 6 months prior to deployment.
Also don't forget to toss in early on a carrier air wing det to fallon and possibly typewing dets such as El Centro weapons dets and/or CQ dets prior to deployment.

Then there's deployment....6 or more months in a row.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Byrdman, good question. To add to what Schnugg said, when you are at home it is long/odd hours, and then you are gone a lot also. I would estimate in the 6-8 months before cruise you gone (at sea, Fallon, AUTEC, whatever) atleast 3-4 months.

Jedj

Work up cycles depend on the community but are generally the same. Tac air does SFARP first, which is somewhat fun, and then the pain starts after that. In a lot of ways workups are worse than cruise, simply because you are home then away...constantly. Regardless of how you slice it though, it is a lot of work, at least from my community, and I imagine every community is the same. Strike planning sucks, and it is longer and more involved than I care to explain. however, you do get a decent amount of flight time and it is a great learning experience in the end.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
macattack: Odds are you'll go on a few detachment exercises for pre-deployment training. The shortest I had has one week. The longest was 3 weeks and 3 days.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:
macattack: Odds are you'll go on a few detachment exercises for pre-deployment training. The shortest I had has one week. The longest was 3 weeks and 3 days.

Sheer torture. And yes, I realize I'm one to talk.