• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I am redoing my physical since it it will have been expired by the time I would be leaving for OCS. Anyway, I am getting a private optometry consult as advised by my recruiter. I did this last time as well. My question is that the NAMI website says that RANDOT is to be scored to 40 seconds of arc. Last time I believe I was at 30 sec. of arc. Anybody know if this is better than what is required and also what a perfect score is? Just curious.

DairyCreamer

You may reference the following website from NOMI/NAMI for the complete requirements:

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm#sna

The direct answer to your question appears to be RANDOT to 40 seconds arc.

:icon_mi_1

~Nate

E6286 said:
I am redoing my physical since it it will have been expired by the time I would be leaving for OCS. Anyway, I am getting a private optometry consult as advised by my recruiter. I did this last time as well. My question is that the NAMI website says that RANDOT is to be scored to 40 seconds of arc. Last time I believe I was at 30 sec. of arc. Anybody know if this is better than what is required and also what a perfect score is? Just curious.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yes, but if 30 seconds of Arc is better than that would qualify as well. Do you get what I am saying?

DairyCreamer

Ahh, I see your question, I apologize.

Yes, 30 seconds of arc for depth perception is better.

Basically the smaller the number, the less angle between the light rays there is for your eyes to detect. At an infinite distance, objects give off light rays that are parallel. Without an angle of light to differentiate, we can't distinguish distance (IE - No depth perception with only one eye open). The depth perception test is essentially testing the smallest angle between light rays that allows you to differentiate/determine a relative distance. In the case of these tests, it's whether the image appears on or "above" the page. The smaller the angle, measured in seconds of arc (1 arcsecond = 1/60 of a minute = 1/3600 degree of angle), the farther away you are able to perceive an object as being closer to you than infinity.

I hope this makes sense! But, yah, the lower you test on the depth perception tests, the better :icon_tong

~Nate

PS - A "perfect score," in theory, is zero arcseconds of resolution. IE, you could look at a star some huge number of lightyears with just your eyes and be able to perceive what distance it's at (at least relatively). So, for stereo tests, a "perfect" score is simply the smallest angle they measure to, and that depends on the test you're given, and possibly whether the doctor bothers going beyond the minimum requirement.

E6286 said:
Yes, but if 30 seconds of Arc is better than that would qualify as well. Do you get what I am saying?

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Well, just got back from my eye exam. 20 seconds of arc, 20/20 vision, -.25 refraction, and normal color vision. Wooo Hooo!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
grr....I hope I have normal color vision...I get my chance to prove that on March 10th...

Status
Not open for further replies.