• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Determined Aviator needs advice, Help!!!!

DowntownJB

The short and sweet(at least I will try to make it so)... so apparently Naval recruiters in FL are unaware of current age regs for pilot candidates. After 6 months of working with the Navy officer recruiter and specifically emphasizing my age, taking the ASTB,( and scoring well) I submitted my package and eagerly awaited an answer. I understand that regs constantly change. Trust me, I've done my research but decided to go with the recruiters reassurance. I was good to go. The board convened on Aug 25, 2011 yet I recieved a call on Aug 1, 2011 telling me my package has been rejected because of my age. I am 28 years old and turn 29 on Nov. 12. Prior service Marine, so I called the OSO, "28, no prob we'll take ya". Well that was great but I was given about a one and a half month window to pass the PFT as a Marine Corp Officer. So I trained everyday and got in great shape but slightly under Marine officer standards, 100/17/25:00 (for anyone who knows MC PFT). Well out of nowhere my age became a factor and my unsat score listed above didn't cut it in the time frame necessary. Next, I talked to the AF. "No prob we'll take you", ready to rock and roll for the board...nope. Today I clearly told the recruiter my age and when I turn 29. "Sorry bud your not gonna make the cut-off". I don't wanna give up, what can I possibly do? I have thought about ANG, but I hear they are bias with hiring non-ANG members. I'm too old to enlist in AF, bare with me here but what if I enlist in AF reserve then transfer to active duty and apply for an officer position? I have a Bachelor degree and PPL, even been cleared for flight training by a Naval surgeon. I know a 90 yr old AF General who was a pilot that helped Chuck Yeager. Degree: Public Admin 3.07, flight time: 75hrs TT with HP endorsement, also a 2nd Lt. In Civil Air Patrol. Sorry for any mistakes, I'm not an English major and extremely frustrated typing on my iPhone. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jeremy

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you were prior service, why didn't the original Navy OR factor that into your package? You should be able to get a month for month age waiver - I think it's 24 months for pilot, 48 months for NFO. Speaking of which, there's always NFO.

Brett

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Your prior enlisted time should tack on a little time. 27 is the hard date for non-priors. Maybe the OSO is just telling you like it is b/c even for people on the normal path, it's very hard to get a slot these days.

Sounds like you had a window of opportunity during your first shot...but didn't pass the PFT.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I think there is a hard limit on the max run time at OCS, if I remember correctly it's in the 22-23 minute range.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think there is a hard limit on the max run time at OCS, if I remember correctly it's in the 22-23 minute range.

I'd wager this concept is common among many (most?) commissioning sources across all of the services.