• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diabetes - Waiverable?

RiverDog

Hey everybody!
First off I'm a freshman in college and have been planning on earning a commission in the Marine Corp through the Platoon Leader's Course and have used this site a good bit doing research. Of course like everyone else on here I've always wanted to be a Naval Aviator but it turns out that out of nowhere a few months ago I was diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes. This may be a retarded question to ask but is this in any way waiverable or is there anything at all I can do in the military with this? It's annoying because I'm in pretty good shape and have been pretty active most of my life (I only weigh 150 lbs.), but it's understandable why the military is strict about it. Heck I'll pack MRE's if I have to as long as I can do something for the country. I typed this in the search box and got a bunch of threads about health care, so I firgure this hasn't been posted yet.

Thanks

MasterBates

If you are type 1 and insulin dependent.. I appreciate your motivation, but that is going to be a show stopper.

Friend I winged with came down with diet controlled type 2, and they medically retired him when we were in the RAG.

grt

Hey there,
I figured I'd chime, as I have been living this very issue for 8 years now. Ever since I can remember I've wanted to be a Naval Aviator and I'd give just about anything to make that dream happen. When I was 11 I was diagnosed with Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes and am now 19. I have researched everywhere, talked to Navy recruiters, and called the FAA; no where have I found what I wanted to hear.

It is unfortunately heartbreaking news and I know exactly what it feels like. I have however found that it is still possible for people with Diabetes to fly. In 1998 the FAA started issuing Class 3 medicals (Class 1 & 2 are not being considered at this time) to people living with Diabetes and since then just over 400 have been able to get their pilot's license. While I know that it still doesn't feel like a good enough solution it is a step in the right direction. The only restriction on a PPL issued to someone living with Diabetes is that they can not fly outside of the United States, otherwise you are free to earn all of your ratings.

I myself am living with Type 1 Diabetes and will be starting my Private Pilot Training in a handful of days. If it ever becomes possible for me to fly off carriers I will be the first person at the recruiters door asking what I can do to get to the fleet.

Garrett

Fly Navy!

I apologize in advance if anyone feels the post is irrelevant, as I know the forums are for Naval Aviation and not General Aviation.

magnetfreezer

Hey there,
I figured I'd chime, as I have been living this very issue for 8 years now. Ever since I can remember I've wanted to be a Naval Aviator and I'd give just about anything to make that dream happen. When I was 11 I was diagnosed with Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes and am now 19. I have researched everywhere, talked to Navy recruiters, and called the FAA; no where have I found what I wanted to hear.

It is unfortunately heartbreaking news and I know exactly what it feels like. I have however found that it is still possible for people with Diabetes to fly. In 1998 the FAA started issuing Class 3 medicals (Class 1 & 2 are not being considered at this time) to people living with Diabetes and since then just over 400 have been able to get their pilot's license. While I know that it still doesn't feel like a good enough solution it is a step in the right direction. The only restriction on a PPL issued to someone living with Diabetes is that they can not fly outside of the United States, otherwise you are free to earn all of your ratings.

I myself am living with Type 1 Diabetes and will be starting my Private Pilot Training in a handful of days. If it ever becomes possible for me to fly off carriers I will be the first person at the recruiters door asking what I can do to get to the fleet.

Garrett

Fly Navy!

I apologize in advance if anyone feels the post is irrelevant, as I know the forums are for Naval Aviation and not General Aviation.

Even if you can safely fly with it, the big issue is being non-deployable (they send you on an IA somewhere it isn't possible to ensure a regular supply of insulin). Had a Prowler friend who got fire ant allergies right before the RAG; even though it wasn't life threatening he had to fight the powers that were to let him continue since the carrier could theoretically run out of epi-pens (or so they said).

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Had a squadron mate get Type 2 and could control through diet and he got a waiver. It then got worse and he was grounded.

And as far as the Navy goes, it really don't matter what the FAA does. The Navy considerations are much more stringent (think eyesight) than the FAA.

jmcquate

Contributor
Sorry about the DX RiverDog. I was DX T1 two years ago at age 45 (pretty rare). T1 is a non-starter with the military but there are many other ways you can serve. The 3 letter Federal agencies are for the most part OK with it although you would still be undeployable to most locations.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Even if you can safely fly with it, the big issue is being non-deployable (they send you on an IA somewhere it isn't possible to ensure a regular supply of insulin). Had a Prowler friend who got fire ant allergies right before the RAG; even though it wasn't life threatening he had to fight the powers that were to let him continue since the carrier could theoretically run out of epi-pens (or so they said).

What the hell? Are there fire ant problems on carriers? How come my recruiter didn't tell me about that?! I may have to reconsidering carrier aviation...

RiverDog

Thanks for the replies! It's pretty cool to get feedback from Naval Aviators. Looks like this is a pretty common issue for alot of people. If you can get medically retired for type 2 I'm sure you can't go with type 1. Grt I've asked around alot too and gotten the same response. I guess they can't guarantee they'll always have a supply of insulin and test strips or that my sugar won't suddenly drop in the middle of battle which makes sense. But hey I can still get my private license. Yeah fire ant allergy problems on a carrier? hahaha man that's strict.

Thanks again