• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Did I lie on my PLC contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hangdawg13

Hmm... This has been bugging me so I'll see what ya'll think about it. I was signing all of the papers for the PLC contract the other day, and of course my OSO says not to mark yes on anything without discussing it with him first. So I come to the question about a family history of heart disease. And I obviously have a family history of heart disease. I told my OSO, and he said... unless the doctor looked you in the face and said, "you have a family history of heart disease" then put no. He's a Captain, and I'm a nothing, so I put no. But i think it may even be in my med. records... So I just hope that question doesn't come back to haunt me later. I don't know if they will look for it or not. If I could do it again though, I would not have listened to my OSO and would not have basically lied about it.

plumberphil

Selected PLC-C 186 Ground
The way I understand a lot of the "yes and no" medical questions, such as in your situation, is don't put 'yes' unless a doc has diagnosed or told you in very explicit terms that you have or have had the condition in reference. I think this is because they (the OSO's and the Corps) don't want the prospective candidate marking 'yes' just because when he/she was 10 years old "Doctor Mom" thought little Johnny/Susie had a heart condition simply because they were light-headed (maybe that's a bad example but if you don't get it i'll explain later). Make sure that you answer 'yes' to only those questions that you have been explicitly told you have. So, in your case unless a Doc has told you that based on what you told them about your family history your family has a history of heart disease I would mark 'no'. Just my opinion.

Stay Motivated,
Jake

Hangdawg13

I understand, but I did see a doctor last summer for a new patient visit and the first thing he did was check my cholesterol because he said I appeared to have a family history of heart disease. I don't think Its a big deal... I am just afraid they will read my signed statement and then read my new patient visit this summer and see a note: family history of heart disease. Oh well.. nothing I can do about it now.

If it's significant, NAMI will whammy you. Otherwise, it's insignificant so don't worry is what I say. They get two cracks at you: at MEPS and at API right? It would take some major triple A bonering to miss a serious problem BOTH times.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As told to me by a Marine Aviator Colonel: "The three tenants of aviation medicine are: admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations." Following this advice will get you far medical-wise. Refusing to heed it will get you more waivers, paperwork, and chances for NPQs than anyone.

Take that for whatever you feel it's worth.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Ya man, I wouldn't worry about it, were I you. I've been playing this game since my enlisted days right through placing my OCC app. And I've encountered situations similiar to yours, and I've never had a problem. My family has heart disease, diabetes, etc. & I've never put any of that down on paper. Even when questioned for physicals I mentioned it (ONLY because they asked!) & no one cared. No worries, you OSO knows what he's doing.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Checking that little "family history of medical problems box" will earn you an instant disqualification with the new task of having to earn waivers to prove that while you have a history of heart disease, you can still be a Marine. If you are worried about someone going through your file years from now and claiming that you lied on your application, don't worry, that is not a possibility. Not only would that cause the military to spend incredible manhours researching each and every applicant's medical history, but it woudl also be illegal per the new HIPPA legislation that was put in place last year. Don't worry, the guidance your OSO gave here was good guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.