• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

difference between PLC,OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike172

GO NAVY
Is there a difference between these two programs other than one being while your in school and the other being after u graduate. Also if you doy Marine Option NROTC do you go straight to TBS, or do u then go to OCS or PLC or what. IF you want an air-contract is it only PLC. Also how does applying for a Marine Option NROTC scholorship differ from regular NROTC application.

Thanks

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OCS is a place that trains potential Marine Officers.
PLC is a program for current college students to go to OCS to see if they have waht it itakes.
OCC is a program for college graduates to attend OCS and also see if they have what it takes.
There is a lot of info on this site if you serach around a bit

cycl06

To add on to what skidkid said, Marine Option NROTC guys go to OCS once for 6 weeks after the summer of their junior year. I believe that the only way to skip OCS altogether and go to TBS is to attend the Naval Academy. All of the options offer air contracts, not just plc. I'm a PLCer so I can't speak to the application process for NROTC, but I PT with NROTC guys and the prospects of getting an NROTC Marine Option scholarship are pretty bleak. You gotta be a stud, PT wise and in the classroom. Hope this helped mike.

Semper Fi

mike172

GO NAVY
scholorship

Do i have a better chance of getting a NROTC Marine option scholorship, or into PLC/OCS.

cycl06

It's definitely easy to get into PLC than get an NROTC Marine scholarship but you can still join the NROTC unit. And after you go to ocs once you can start getting money for school from the Corp, with strings attatched of course. Mike i don't know your situation fully, but it seems that you're either about to go to college or a freshman. I'm partial to PLC one because I am one, and then because there are perks to it. Unlike midshipmen, us PLC'ers really have no contractual commitment to the Corp when not at training. We don't have to take boring Navy classes that have nothing to do with us, it's ok if you don't shave for awhile or grow your hair out, and it leaves time to get involved in the other things your school has to offer. And the best part is that we all end up the same way. Midshipmen, PLC, OCC, Naval Academy grads, we all end up at TBS together, all 2lt's. Also mike, if you are in high school, going the PLC route you can go to any college that you want, you dont have to attend a school with the ROTC.

mike172

GO NAVY
thanks

thanks alot very imformative. I am not yet applying to colleges, but i have been looking at ones with ROTC, so not having to go to one with NROTC opens some more doors. If i want to apply for PLC i need to contact an OSO correct?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
mike172 said:
thanks alot very imformative. I am not yet applying to colleges, but i have been looking at ones with ROTC, so not having to go to one with NROTC opens some more doors. If i want to apply for PLC i need to contact an OSO correct?
Yes, as soon as you are a full time college student. And make sure youa re in shape. I went to OCS the summer after my freshman year, it can be done if you want it

BlueFalcon

No real difference

There is virtually no real difference between PLC, OCC, and NROTC. Some of the OCC is conducted during the winter months, but Brown Field is put under a bubble and the air is conditioned to the spring months. It wouldn't be fair to have some candidates go through winter training would it? Also, some people say that PLC is 6 weeks and OCC is 10 weeks? Thats just wrong, they are both the same what are you going to learn in an extra 4 weeks?

cycl06

PLC is either 2 summers 6 weeks each(PLC Juniors, PLC Seniors), or 1 summer of 10 weeks. OCC is 10 weeks. NROTC is 1 summer 6 weeks and is the equivalent of PLC Seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.